No announcement yet.

Literary confessions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

classic literature sucks. Why can't they write in proper English?

Because it hadn't been invented yet, which forced them to write in Greek and Latin.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Stupid Greeks

Comment

It's a more sensible language than English.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I kep getting bogged down in the middle of Moby Dick. I really dig it at first, even the excessively long-winded parts, but then it all just gets to me. I last tried about 4 months back, during a cruise. I still have my place bookmarked; I'll try to go back in another few months. Someday...

Comment

Tolkien- did he ever meet a real live woman, I wonder ?

I'm not keen on 'L.O.T.R.' - give me the original myths any day. The only thing worse than Tolkien's oeuvre is the fanbase. Those awful geeks who dress up in faux-elf gear at his graveside and recite long boring speeches in Elvish.

They should be forced to take part in the revival of a dying human language...
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

well... considering that the poems dealing with Luthien and Berien were basically dealing with his wife and him (and I think for her) suggests that he did

LOTR is fairly male dominated... everything he wrote isn't neccesarily...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

in fact... apparently some of the tale of Luthien and Beren was based on his relationship with his wife..

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Faulknier and Conrad are two of my favorite authors (and I have read many others... like War and Peace (but it has been over a decade since I read War and Peace))

Melville I am not a fan of

and I disliked Moby Dick in particular

(Also Magic Mountain)

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    in fact... apparently some of the tale of Luthien and Beren was based on his relationship with his wife..

JM

Any evidence she was alive, and not preserved in the root cellar like Norman's mother ?
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

most of their children were born after the the tale of Luthien and Beren was started

I think it started based off an expereince with her dancing in a grove..

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I haven't read any Dostoevsky or Tolstoy of Hugo or... a list of books I haven't read would be too long.

I read l'estranger (seems to be translated as "the outsider" where I live) and I loved it. I didn't hate Mersault... I just felt sorry for him. He obviously lacked some important element that completes us as human beings... his crimes and misdemeanours seem to me to have been beyond his understanding... I could not hold him morally responsible for anything that he did. So I pitied him.

My literary confession is that I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code...

Comment

Once you start getting into the 19th and 20th centuries, the books became enjoyable imho.

I liked Faulkner and Hemingway. And Twain of course.

Moby Dick is a great story, but I found it a difficult read. I'd often have to reread passages to get the full meaning.

Comment

Working...
                          X