X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Falwell in critical condition

Rev. Jerry Falwell in critical condition
    Second bout of pneumonia in five weeks

LYNCHBURG, Virginia (AP) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday, battling his second case of viral pneumonia in just five weeks, hospital and church officials said.

Falwell, 71, was admitted to Lynchburg General Hospital shortly before midnight Monday suffering from "respiratory arrest," the hospital said in a statement.

He was put on a ventilator and stabilized but remained in critical condition, the hospital said.

"He's resting comfortably and in stable condition," said Ron Godwin, Falwell's executive assistant. "It's a recurrence of the viral pneumonia."

Falwell is the founder of the Moral Majority and chancellor of Liberty University, which he also founded.

It was Falwell's second admission this year to Lynchburg General Hospital. He was treated for pneumonia for 13 days in late February and early March. For a time, he was on a ventilator.

In a recent interview with The Associated Press, Falwell said he was feeling much better, but still recovering from his hospital stay.

Falwell had been in the pulpit Easter Sunday at Thomas Road Baptist Church and appeared in good health, said the Rev. Dave Randlett, a senior associate pastor.

"He always looks `up' so you wouldn't know if he wasn't" feeling well, Randlett said. "He was very optimistic."

An avid sports fan, Falwell made the trip to Chattanooga, Tennessee, on Saturday for the third round of the NCAA women's basketball tournament.

Liberty University's team ended its postseason run in a 90-48 loss to top-seeded Louisiana State.

He also had been in the crowd on March 22 when the Liberty women beat DePaul 88-79 in the second round in College Park, Maryland.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/29/fal....ap/index.html
    Sounds like he is not long for this world. Anybody have any ideas on what kind of punishment this douchebag will receive in hell?

I can't wait until this piece of garbage croaks.

I wonder who will die first? Terri Schiavo or Falwell.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Who is this guy?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

big time religious right nutbag...
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Is he the one who went to funerals of gay people, gloating over the "fact" that they were headed straight to hell?
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being.
          -- Rev. Jerry Falwell

God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve.
          -- Rev. Jerry Falwell, blaming civil libertarians, feminists, homosexuals, and abortion rights supporters for the terrorist attacks of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, to which Rev. Pat Robertson agreed, quoted from John F. Harris, "God Gave U.S. 'What We Deserve,' Falwell Says," The Washington Post (September 14, 2001)

AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.
          -- Jerry Falwell

The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country.
          -- Rev. Jerry Falwell
          I think you get the jist of him
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            Is he the one who went to funerals of gay people, gloating over the "fact" that they were headed straight to hell?
            no that's fred phelps... hopefully he will die soon too
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Were his followers of any political significance?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                Were his followers of any political significance?
                who, Phelps or Falwell?

Falwell has a large base of support... he's a major player in the religious right...
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh. Then I wish he dies quickly, without having the time to prepare an heir, and I hope his base of support will scatter between the many different reactionaries that will try to fill the void

Comment

come on dawg... wishing someone to die like this is bad karma man... that is, if you believe there is such thing.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      come on dawg... wishing someone to die like this is bad karma man... that is, if you believe there is such thing.
                      actually, I happen to think it's a good thing to wish bad things on evil people

this is precisely why I hope there is a god... so people like Jerry Falwell suffer for being evil
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Edit: Rev. Pat Robertson Jerry Falwell is one of the few people in this world that I truly wish ill-will and terrible misfortune upon. However, my grandmother is very ill and my doctor uncle doesn't think she'll make it through this coming Thursday night. Had this thread come after her probably-coming death, it might have cheared me up. But as it is, I'm finding it difficult to wish a slow, miserable, excruciatingly painful and gory death upon this piece of Human filth like I usually do.
                        Last edited by DRoseDARs; March 31, 2005, 21:55.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

wuss!
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think he's a ****e bag but it is bad form to wish people dead.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

DroseDars, our prayers for you grandmother.

I want to make a comment about Falwell, Schiavo and a betting pool, but your news makes that a bit too ghoulish.
                              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X