No announcement yet.

Republicans for Gay Unions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you really wanted to beat the Europeans, you should rather ask why 1. the President isn't elected by the Parliament or 2. why there isn't a runoff process, that would lower the problem of people who don't vote according to their idea, in order not to "waste the vote"
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

If you really wanted to beat the Europeans,

I think you misunderstood. 'Beating the Europeans' meaning Europeans usually say what I said in that post, so I beat them to it.

The primaries should be open because currently the two parties have passed laws effectively preventing the creation of meanful third parties.

No, the system, which has been in place since the beginning of the republic (when the two party system had not been entrenched in any way) is responsible for the two parties having such power.

That is no reason to meddle in the internal politics of the parties. We don't tell IBM who can vote in their internal elections for director simply because they are big.

Republicans fanatically oppose it in states like Texas where they have effectively made elections meaningless.

You conveniently forgot the Democrats in Texas as well..
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I have a question. I dunno why I never thought of this before.
        Who decides who votes in primaries.
        What rules prevent a Democrat from voting in the Republican primary, for a crap choice to increase chance of Democrat win?

Comment

Nothing.

In certain states, anyone can vote in either primary. In other states, only people with the correct party registration can vote for in that primary (but there's nothing stopping you from changing your party registration just prior to the primary since there are no dues, black lists, etc.).
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Some states have open primaries. Those states are called "stupid."

And the U.S. isn't nearly as religious-zealot as some people seem to think. There are lots of them, but they seem more common than they are due to their ability to make noise. They are nowhere near 60% of the country. That whole attitude is one of the reasons the Democrats keep getting beat on. You just assume that Bush got in by tweaking religious bigotry, and refuse to admit that some people might have, for reasons which I don't understand either but am forced to admit exist, seen something in him that they liked.

I voted for Kerry reluctantly; he seemed to be missing a personality, as he had a bunch of positions on issues but you got no impression of the man behind those issues. It's anyone's guess what he'd have done in any given situation. That's rather unattractive in times of war. And, who knows? There might be people in the U.S. who are not completely ignorant, have made informed decisions, and honestly feel that he has something to offer.

If the majority of citizens of the U.S. were anywhere near as stupid as some of you make them out to be, the country would be in the dark ages. But we aren't, we're just divided and afraid, and the Democratic party, in all fairness, seems to have its head up its arse which is not at all reassuring. Gore loses, so they nominate Kerry, who's basically the same person only without the WH experience and funnier-looking. After they'd finished weeding out eight other loons, that is, including Al Sharpton and the guy who failed to be Gore's veep last time.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              I think you misunderstood. 'Beating the Europeans' meaning Europeans usually say what I said in that post, so I beat them to it.
              I didn't misunderstand. I could think of two typically European comments about presidential elections (three actually, as I didn't write about the electoral collee) that I imagine a European would say before even mentioning open primaries.

Your system sucks so much that the primaries' closeness is at the bottom of the list of concerns
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Neither of those two statements/questions would be raised by a Eurocom when someone was *****ing about not having an open primary .

Oh, and THANK GOD, our President isn't elected by Congress. What a piss poor arrangement that would be! I wonder why the Euros put up with that crap.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

What I want to know is why I, as a third party member, have to pay for the primaries of other parties?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Oh, and THANK GOD, our President isn't elected by Congress. What a piss poor arrangement that would be! I wonder why the Euros put up with that crap.
                    Well, it's pretty democratic in a system that has RP (or partial RP like Germany) and it prevents gridlock, and gets things done (note: I'm speaking about the head of the executive in general here, and not necessarily the head of State in particular).

But I couldn't tell you too much, considering that I come from a country where the president is directly elected, with a system that is actually sane (i.e., it simply has a runoff between the two main candidates, which reflects the ideological diversity of the country more accurately)

Comment

Well, it's pretty democratic in a system that has RP (or partial RP like Germany) and it prevents gridlock, and gets things done (note: I'm speaking about the head of the executive in general here, and not necessarily the head of State in particular).

Preventing gridlock is a bad thing. It is best to have gridlock so that any legislation has to be a compromise and not just one side pushing things through because they have 50%+1 as goes on in Europe.

I guess it is one of those times where saying "The US is a republic, not a democracy" makes sense . I perfer a Republic, btw.

Comment

Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid. Much of our compromise legislation falls into this catagory. Then when it fails to do what it was intended to do, but still costs money, the conservatives go around saying "We told you so." Compromise favors conservatism and is the enemy of progress.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Enemies of progress

Comment

Oregon passed a state constitutional ban on same-sex marriages last year (although it passed by a much narrower margin than the bans in the 11 other states). The social conservatives didn't get much chance to celebrate, however. Right after the election, the Republican state senator who sponsored marriage ban introduced legislation granting gays civil unions with all the benefits of marriage. He admitted he pushed the constitutional ban through to innoculate the civil unions bill from attacks that it would lead to gay marriage.

I don't know if I like his methods, but I must admit is fun seeing the religious righters sideswiped like that.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

conservatism is the enemy of progress
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I must admit is fun seeing the religious righters sideswiped like that.

That's amusing .

Comment

Working...
                                X