Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What job opportunities are there in neuroscience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What job opportunities are there in neuroscience?

I've always been interested in the liberal arts more than the sciences. When I get to college, the subjects I'd find the most interesting would probably be philosophy, sociology, anthropology, psychology, political science, religion, anything dealing with reasoning or critical thinking, and maybe linguistics. I'd also probably like literature and poetry, but when I read a piece of literature, I usually don't care too much about the literature itself, I care more for the ideas. Of course literature is more interesting and less dry than reading straight-up philosophy, so I sometimes prefer to get the ideas from a novel rather than a philosopher. But I prefer ideas to art, I guess, though I do need to learn to appreciate the latter more. I'd also like to add that I like learning about other cultures and I am planning on studying abroad in college, though maybe to an English speaking place like the UK or Australia so I could still be articulate when discussing ideas, which is what I like to do best.

I do find some aspects of science very interesting, others I find very, very boring. When it comes to the biological sciences, anything dealing with evolution, genetics, or humans I find interesting, everything else I find pretty boring. When it comes to the physical sciences, I like anything dealing with space (it's the last frontier, and the fact that there is so much about it that we don't know I find fascinating) and anything dealing with the basic questions of existence, like what are we and how we got here. Math can be okay sometimes, like I kind of like the challenge of trying to solve a difficult problem, and I might like number theory, but I don't know because I have no experience in it. So I think I'm not a math and science guy, I am a liberal arts kinda guy who likes ideas and concepts and can find some parts (most likely the conceptual parts) of math and science interesting (but not as interesting as the liberal arts, what I like best). But I think what is more important is that I like science, but only when it is applied to something interesting and significant, like people. I like the social sciences and psychology and neuroscience. But more on that last part later.

The problem is the math and sciences are all thats practical if I want to use my brain for my job (I don't want to work a tedious and insignificant 9-5 office job, I want to think and I don't want to be a big part of the working some capitalist institution such as a business). There is a chance that I could study the liberal arts that I listed above and work for the state department in the foreign services or something (there is a program I heard about where the government pays for half of your college, pays for you to get a master's degree in foreign affairs, which I'd find pretty interesting, and then guruantees you an overseas internship, which I'd like, and guruantees you a job working for them, the minimum being 4 and a half years, but if I liked it I'd do it my whole life).

The problem with doing that though is that it might be really dry and a bunch of paper work, which I wouldn't like. I want to think, not do something similar to a 9-5 office type job, which that might be. And if I decided I didn't like it, I wouldn't have much to fall back on. I'd be overqualified and I'd probably have to end up doing some different 9-5 office type job. When it comes down to it, I hate working, but I like thinking. And I am not a capitalist, so working for a business would not be my cup of tea. I mean I could work for a business if I was doing math and science or thinking, but being a part of the money making process I wouldn't like. So I want a job where I can think and not do tedious, monotonous work, and I want to work to mean something, not for it to be about making money for my company.

Doing math and science all day isn't my dream job, I'd prefer to discuss ideas, but I'd much rather do math and science than work some white-collar business job, and hopefully it would be a more thinking-oriented than working-oriented type job, if that makes any sense. That's why I need to find something practical that I like, and I think that will have to be in the math and sciences.

Neuroscience is one thing that does interest me (though not as much as some of the liberal arts classes I listed that I want to take), probably because it deals meshes science with psychology, linguistics, and other aspects of the human mind, which I find very interesting. But more importantly, ever since I read Andrew Newberg and Gene Eugene D’Aquili's Why God Won't Go Away I have wanted to study the science of spirituality. I heard neurosicence is a growing field with job opportunities. It would be a perfect fit, so I am thinking that I might major in it when I get to college. I am not looking forward to the required basic biology and chemistry classes, but I don't think I'd have to take too many. When I read about neuroscience programs at colleges, it is described as an interdisciplinary program where you take biology, linguistics, math, philosophy, and pyschology. So I don't think I'd have to take too many classes I don't like.

I realize that taking classes I don't like shouldn't be too big a deal, but there is so much I want to take in college and I'm going to be so busy with music and sports that I can't afford to waste time with anything I really don't enjoy. So if I don't have to take too many of these required classes I don't like, it will be worth it, depending on the job opportunities it will bring, which brings me to my next point. What can I do with a major in neuroscience? I plan on at least getting my master's, so what would I do with a master's in neuroscience? Or a doctorate in neuroscience? I remember looking at neuroscience in a college majors book, and under the jobs-you-can-get-with-this-degree section there wasn't a 'neuroscientist.' The only thing that came close was a biochemist. And if I wanted to be a biochemist, I'd be interested in and be taking mostly chemistry and biology. And I don't find either of those very interesting, so I don't think I'd like to be a biochemist. So should I just drop the whole neuroscience idea? I need to know because part of my college selection process is whether or not the school in question has a neuroscience program or not (most schools don't).
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

jesus, what a long post.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Neuroscience is one thing that does interest me (though not as much as some of the liberal arts classes I listed that I want to take), probably because it deals meshes science with psychology, linguistics, and other aspects of the human mind, which I find very interesting. But more importantly, ever since I read Andrew Newberg and Gene Eugene D’Aquili's Why God Won't Go Away I have wanted to study the science of spirituality. I heard neurosicence is a growing field with job opportunities. It would be a perfect fit, so I am thinking that I might major in it when I get to college. I am not looking forward to the required basic biology and chemistry classes, but I don't think I'd have to take too many. When I read about neuroscience programs at colleges, it is described as an interdisciplinary program where you take biology, linguistics, math, philosophy, and pyschology. So I don't think I'd have to take too many classes I don't like.
      Newberg and d'Aquili are, along with some other people such as Charles Laughlin, part of a group known as biogenetic structuralists. If you like what you read in Why God Won't Go Away I would suggest you find a copy of "Brain Symbol and Experience" written by Laughlin, McManus and d'Aquili. Its fascinating.

Laughlin was actually one of my professors at my University and he really shaped the direction of my studies. Oh, and he was an anthropologist by training, BTW.

So if you like this sort of thing, I'd say there's a place for you within biogenetic, neural or symbolic anthropological studies. There's alot of great research going on in this field... even if it is a bit separated from the more culturally oriented schools of mainstream anthropology.

Comment

Too long to read. Do you have any actual talent for the biological sciences?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Too long to read. Do you have any actual talent for the biological sciences?
          How can someone have any "real talent" for something like this prior to at least post-doctoral research?

Or do you mean is he good at memorizing definitions out of a text book?

Edit: Oh, and generally when something is too long to read, you just don't respond. Your opinions aren't valued that much. Neither are mine for that matter.

Comment

Well, you could become a brain surgeon.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I realize it is a long post, but it basically describes my struggles in trying to figure out what I want to study, what I want to have for a job, and where I want to go to college. In other words, it is about the only things in my life, so it is very important and feedback is greatly appreciated.

I don't want to go to med school, so I don't think I'd want to be a brain surgeon.

So if you like this sort of thing, I'd say there's a place for you within biogenetic, neural or symbolic anthropological studies. There's alot of great research going on in this field... even if it is a bit separated from the more culturally oriented schools of mainstream anthropology.So if you like this sort of thing, I'd say there's a place for you within biogenetic, neural or symbolic anthropological studies. There's alot of great research going on in this field... even if it is a bit separated from the more culturally oriented schools of mainstream anthropology.
              I'd have to be a university professor to make that my job though, right?

I'm not sure about being a professor. On one hand, I think I'd love it, because I like school and if I could make school my living, than great. But I don't think I'd be good at teaching the material to students.

Other than being a university professor that teaches neuroscience, are there any job opportunities in neuroscience?
              "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Look into ethnography (not at all about ethnic stuff) or other fields like policy where your big picture mindset and lack of numerical horsepower won't hurt you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                  How can someone have any "real talent" for something like this prior to at least post-doctoral research?

Or do you mean is he good at memorizing definitions out of a text book?
                  Uh, no, it's quite possible to be talented at biology. It's logic and memory.

Comment

Being adept at memorizing facets of a subject does not, IMO, mean you have a real talent for it.

IMHO.

Comment

Evil genius assistant?
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I side with Jimmy and Verto on this. Being talented is, in large part, being able to produce interesting research. If all you can do is produce grade B or C papers, you should probably change careers.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

To answer your question: you should probably ask someone who knows best, namely a guidance counselor.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I don't want to work a tedious and insignificant 9-5 office job, I want to think and I don't want to be a big part of the working some capitalist institution such as a business
                            You will eventually come to realize that an insignificant 9-5 office job in corporate USA can be pretty cushie, young paduan.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So as far as everyone knows, the only job opportunities there are in neuroscience are being a professor at a university. If that is the case, I shouldn't even take it at all, because if I wanted to be a professor (which I am considering) I'd probably be a professor of sociology or philosophy or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X