Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Is Higher? Atlantic Ocean Or Pacific Ocean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pressure difference is due to gravity drop.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

let d be the density of water, h be the difference in height, g be the acceleration due to gravity and P be the pressure difference. with no drag due to turbulence or friction with walls,

P = ghd
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah...I already got that, you are trying to think about this like dropping balls off of a window.

Yes the gravity causes the pressure head difference. but that does not dictate velocity limiters on the fluid as it moves in a pipe between the two tanks (oceans). The acceleration happens at the mouth of the pipe and in the "near-mouth" region. Water is incompressible so the speed as it moves within the pipe is constant. (if area of pipe is constant). So why think about graviational acceleration anyway? I mean if this were in space and you had the same pressure difference, for instance? Surely you agree that it is the head loss (pressure drop from friction) that limits flow rate?

I do need to think about open channel though.

Comment

I like it better than the laser launching system which requires a beam that stays on target (and does not spread) over 1000 bounces and planetary distances or whatever...)
          Actually, I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll ask here.

Assuming a high power solid state laser (1 MW - 10 MW range), what would the diameter of the beam be at interplanetary distances? Assume a power satellite in GEO (i.e., no atmospheric impact).
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I think the 50% power contained area would expand to miles wide (this is using FHA analysis).

Comment

A power collector miles wide? Wow. Possible using short-term conceivable technology, but not at high efficiency.

Thanks for order of magnitude calculation. Very useful in comparing with space nuclear reactors.

I guess we would seek to combine multiple lasers.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Besides the rotational force there are also gravitational forces that give differences.

Premium DNS is an extra future that gives you extra security, increases your website speed, and has a DNS Failover solution.

The strength of the earth's gravitational field at its surface varies according to the ocean depth and the density of local rocks. Dense rocks and shallow ocean, such as along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (shown in red in the image), creates a higher local gravitational force which causes a greater 'pull' on the surrounding ocean water and thus results in a higher local sea level. Satellites orbiting in very precisely determined orbits are able to measure the sea level to an accuracy of a few centimetres by using Radar Altimeters which transmit microwave pulses and time their return. This measurement of the results of gravitational variations gives us a better picture and understanding of the geological structure of the sea floor. From the time variation of the returned signal Altimeters can also build up a model of ocean wave heights, which relate to surface wind speed. Radar Altimeters therefore also provide valuable data useful in meteorological forecasting.
                Apparently it isn't only at "left side" of continents there are buildups. Midatlantic is at a higher level than at the European and American coast.
                Attached Files
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Which all goes to show, there are many small scale phenomenon going on, just like with tides in general, which depend a lot on local geography...
                  If we are talking about a couple meters, the general "
                  sea level is sea level" is not true...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                    Besides the rotational force there are also gravitational forces that give differences.
                    Again, this does not make a difference as far as the difference in "height" is concerned.

Variations in local gravity might make the surface of the ocean further away from the earth's centre at some points rather than others, but they will maintain the surface of the ocean as an equipotential. You can't slide down the tidal bulge, or the equatorial bulge or the variations in local gravity. Without dynamic forces (winds, currents, vibrations, etc.) the surface of the earth would be exactly an equipotential.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I just spent the last 13 hours of my life doing this

With its world-renowned faculty and state-of-the-art facilities, the William H. Miller III Department of Physics and Astronomy combines the best aspects of a top research university with the more intimate learning environment typical of small liberal arts colleges.

Great.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                        I think the 50% power contained area would expand to miles wide (this is using FHA analysis).
                        WTF is FHA analysis?
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Fourier Harmonic Analysis is my guess?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

WTF is FHA analysis?
                            consulting term. "from Henry's ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
                              Fourier Harmonic Analysis is my guess?
                              I thought that, but he added in another "analysis

Like PIN number...
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by TCO

I don't understand you. It's just a channel cut through the country. A thin extension of the Pacific ocean into the land (or of the Atlantic into the land). I'm assuming that we use the dam as a bridge for traffice. So we would want to be on one of the coasts.
                                No, the Panama Canal is NOT just a channel. As I said before, the water in the canal is fresh water provided by the Chagres river, which while short has a very heavy volume due to the heavy tropical rainfall. The bulk of the Canal is at a higher elevation than BOTH oceans, which is why locks have to raise ships on both sides to get them into the Canal. In theory then you could place a damn on BOTH sides, with power generated by the waters of the Chagres of the artificial Gatun lake falling into both oceans.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X