Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Is Higher? Atlantic Ocean Or Pacific Ocean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what would happen if the locks were removed and water could flow unopposed from the high side to the low side? Could this be used to generate electricity?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

a) yes

b) the flow would be insufficient to change the actual levels of the sea (by many many orders of magnitude)
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So it'd be a virtually limitless source of power.

EDIT: except in terms of the rate at which we can generate it.

Comment

Though a difference of 6 metres over ~60 km is a dumbass way to generate hydro...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            So it'd be a virtually limitless source of power.
            Limited by how many trenches you are willing to dig.

There are already much more available hydroelectric sources...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
              So, what would happen if the locks were removed and water could flow unopposed from the high side to the low side?
              There'd still be a mountain range in the way.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

what if they dug it deep enough so that it was a straight shot.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

SDee my post.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                    what if they dug it deep enough so that it was a straight shot.
                    me thinks that's not a good idea.

edit: I guess I could see how it would work. I was thinking there was greater than 6 m height difference. I was envisioning a fast white water rapid. Ships would not be able to traverse that. But 6 m over such a long distance wouldn't have too high a rate of water flow. It coudld work I suppose.

But unlike Civ2, terraforming mountians down to hills, and then down to grasslands is not so easy

Comment

Be better off building generators for the Gulf Current.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The water in the Panama canal is fresh water from the Chagres River, which is short but has a heavy volume- most of the canal is an artificial lake. And the land is uneven, the canal is NOT straight, so getting rid of the lock would not create much flow at all, if any. This was a fundamentally different dig from Suez.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

IN fact, the locks are mainly to get ships high enough to traverse the Canal, which is at a higher level than either Oceans.

In essence, ships come from either side, get lifted to cross the artificial lake over the highlands, get to the other set of locks, they are brought down, and the trip continues.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                            lets consult the torah code!

Ya don't actually belive that stuff do ya?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                              IN fact, the locks are mainly to get ships high enough to traverse the Canal, which is at a higher level than either Oceans.
                              Which is what I said

Comment

So which is heavier?
                                100 pounds of lead or 100lbs of feathers?

Hundred pounds is a hundred pounds such as sealevel is sealevel.

All the oceans that are at sealevel are the same height.

Comment

Working...
                                X