Massive Anti-China March in Taiwan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Anti-China March in Taiwan!

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Hundreds of thousands of Taiwanese have marched on their capital to protest Beijing's new law sanctioning the use of force if Taipei moves toward formal independence.

"China is a violent country. We want nothing to do with it," said protester Wu Chao-hsiung, a carpenter from Taipei. "We have to insist on the freedom to determine our own fate."

China's annual session of parliament passed the anti-secession law on March 14. Beijing has claimed Taiwan as its own since their split at the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949.

Thousands of tour buses from all over the island arrived in Taipei filled with protesters, who assembled in 10 different areas -- each route representing one of the articles of the anti-secession law.

The marchers then converged on the wide boulevard in front of the president's office. Police estimated the crowd at about a million, The Associated Press reported. Taiwan's population is 23 million.

President Chen Shui-bian, a fierce longtime critic of Beijing's Communist leadership, appeared at an intersection along one of the protest routes and waved at bystanders.

As he promised, Chen didn't speak at the rally, but he mounted a stage and chanted slogans with the crowds, AP reported. He closed off the event by singing a song -- "Taiwan is our baby."

China's state-run China Daily said on Friday the march could raise tensions and set back bilateral ties, and cautioned against talk and acts by Chen at the rally. (Full story)

Some analysts see the law -- which codified Beijing's longstanding threat to attack Taiwan -- as a bid by Beijing to deter Chen from pushing for a formal split from China before the end of his term in 2008.

Former President Lee Teng-hui, 82, who has become a vocal supporter of independence since retiring in 2000, also marched in the protest. Vice President Annette Lu also made a brief appearance.

"What do we want from China? Peace," lawmaker Bi-Khim Hsiao led the crowd in chanting.

Hsiao said there is no real expectation Beijing will reconsider the law. The protest is aimed more at bringing greater international pressure on China to negotiate peacefully.

"(The law) essentially gives China a blank check to use force against Taiwan, and they are the ones legislating, they are the ones interpreting the law, and executing and implementing the law," Hsiao told CNN on Saturday.

Organizers billed the protest as a "peace carnival." A woman dressed as the Statue of Liberty waved her torch at the crowds, while a five-story-high white balloon representing peace was erected at the protest site.

An equally tall model of a red sea urchin -- its needles said to symbolize the missiles China is pointing at Taiwan -- was deflated at the end of the rally. Protesters climbed over it and tried to tear it apart.

Protesters chanted "Oppose War, Love Taiwan" and carried signs reading "Shame on China" and "Democracy."

U.S. and Japanese flags flew below a green protest banner, while demonstrators erected large paper board with the faces of U.S. President George W. Bush and Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi

Many Taiwanese see those two countries as the island's most likely allies in any military conflict with China.

The United States has pledged to defend Taiwan in the event of an attack. Washington said the legislation could set back cross-Strait relations and called its passage "unfortunate."

China's tougher stance on Taiwan has also made Europe wary about lifting an arms embargo, an anticipated move that now appears will be delayed. (Full story)

"The anti-secession law, simply put, is a law that authorizes war," 70-year-old businessman Fan Wen-yi said. "If they really see Taiwan people as their compatriots, why do they enact such a law?"

Vivian Wang, a 38-year-old restaurant worker, traveled about 300 km (190 miles) by bus from the southern city of Kaohsiung to join the protest.

"Taiwan is only a small island, so we must speak out really loud to make the world hear that we are a democracy facing an evil giant," Wang said.

Leaders from the Nationalist Party -- which opposes independence and wants to improve relations with China -- stayed away from the protest.

Protest supporters also staged demonstrations in Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Brussels, Belgium.

Nice to see Taiwan speak up boldly against the monstorous authoritarian People's Republic of China. It is always nice to see a refreshing sign to see so many people stand up for their freedoms.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

if China is so bad, shouldn't we boycott American businesses that do business with China?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      if China is so bad, shouldn't we boycott American businesses that do business with China?
      to trolls

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

to trolls

a legitimate question...

there is so much china bashing on these forums, but yet few bash the American companies that support and do business with China...

either they are our enemy or they aren't
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I agree with Sava

It is two faced
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Taiwan itself does business with China. During the Cold War, the West and the Eastern Bloc did have some limited trade> During the age of Imperial rivalries, Britain and France and Germany and all the imprial powers would do business power. It is a relatively common thing to trade with your rivals.

That can be a good thing to. Trade between rivals can help deter war. For Instance, were China to invade Taiwan, they would be destroying one of their biggest trade partners and they'd hurt their economy.

Comment

Taiwan!
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

We don't give China the smackdown it deserves because it might hurt the profits of corporations like Nike who pay Chinese workers pathetic wages to work in sweatshops.

Comment

We don't give China the smackdown it deserves because we don't want nuclear warheads hitting Las Angeles.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:19.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        We don't give China the smackdown it deserves because we don't want nuclear warheads hitting Las Angeles.
                        That's not a very good reason. I think we could do fine without LA.

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:19.

Comment

a legitimate question...

there is so much china bashing on these forums, but yet few bash the American companies that support and do business with China...

either they are our enemy or they aren't
                            china is a country like any other. No reason not to do trade with them.

The only thing we are supporting is Taiwanese support for independence.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

That's not a very good reason. I think we could do fine without LA.
                              Especially Hollywood...

Comment

Working...
                              X