The Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now someone can do the same for me-

There was an American sit-com about 15 years ago. I think it went out on cable, because it was far ruder than most US sitcoms (we're talking boobs and unfettered swearing here).

It revolved around a divorced man, who had a bit of a "Reggie Perrin" tendency to dream- with lots of jump-cut edits to old TV clips representing his thoughts. I remember one hilarious episode where he reprimands his young son for carrying cannabis, and then gets caught smoking it by his son.

Anyone remember what it's called?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I think it might be "Dream On". It was on HBO, IIRC.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

That's the bunny! Great series.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see the Yanks getting 'The Office' quite right. They just arn't cynical enough.

Comment

I am going to dl the american pilot though, just for kicks.

Should be embarrasing.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

American's can be just as cynical as Brits!

And we DO have a better sense of humor, just look at our President!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

We have all been PWNED!!111!!
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  Noones as cynical as Britsl

But yeah, I meant the producers/writers/money men needed to get a TV program off the ground rather than Yanks generally

Comment

i like how japher totally ignored the article when it said that america mangles every british tv show its tried to recreate
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

i like that too
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

I think this show might actually be pretty good. If only for Steve Carrell. He was the best anchor on the Daily Show hands down. Too bad he's not on there anymore...

Steve Carrell clips

Sorry the video or page cannot be found. The page may have been removed, had its name changed, or is just temporarily unavailable. Please use search or visit our home page. Thank you.

Comment

Yeah, watch "Seinfeld"

---

Oh, and the article gets something incorrect. The original "The Office" is on BBC America from 12 NOON to 4 PM. Not 9 AM to 1 PM this Saturday.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I liked it, but then I'm reduced to Basic cable right now so the alternative is only the masochistic exercise of watching CBC 'Comedy' like Air Farce...
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Hey, it was actually pretty decent! I'll watch again!
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I liked it.... the jello thing cracked me up.

The boss dude is perfect

I'll give it a few episodes, though I worry about it; it ain't a "Joey" like sitcom.
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X