Incredible new discovery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bkeela
    Great. The Creationists are going to milk this for all it's worth to attack Evolution.
    My thoughts exactly.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
      Perhaps God made the baby flowers well again?
      So I'm right? Praise be!!!

Comment

Wow, awesome stuff indeed
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
          Great. The Creationists are going to milk this for all it's worth to attack Evolution.
          Actually, assuming it's confirmed, and assuming it's not confined just to some plants, it's at least as useful to evolution as it would be to any other attempts to cobble some psuedoscience babble to another spin on the creationist myth.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Without meaning to threadjack, doesn't this seriously hurt our hopes for stem cells? At the very least it'll tack on many years of finding out what the backup is if it isn't DNA. Please don't get into the ethics of embryonic stem cells, that's just a more confused version of the old abortion debate and I don't have the energy to drag it back up again. I'm just wondering what the implications of it are for THE big thing in biotech.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Plants. Is there anything they can't do?
              be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                Plants. Is there anything they can't do?
                Regrow after mass urban-sprawl takes up their land.

However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  Without meaning to threadjack, doesn't this seriously hurt our hopes for stem cells? At the very least it'll tack on many years of finding out what the backup is if it isn't DNA. Please don't get into the ethics of embryonic stem cells, that's just a more confused version of the old abortion debate and I don't have the energy to drag it back up again. I'm just wondering what the implications of it are for THE big thing in biotech.
                  Maybe these plants couldn't evolve, so something else did instead.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                    Imagine the possibilities!! Maybe we could have a planet without retards!

Spec.
                    And no more sports fans.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

And no more sports fans.
                      Yeah, what a dumba** Plato was!

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

And no more sports fans.
                        retards, sports facts, isn't that a bit redundant?
                        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Without meaning to threadjack, doesn't this seriously hurt our hopes for stem cells?
                          I don't see how that would be. They appear to be seperate issues. It might do something to genetic engineering, esp projects involving plants.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

There's always been some missing information regarding genetics, e.g., that the traditional genetic system of DNA transcription-translation wasn't complete in describing it. It just makes sense that this discovery came to fruit. Another example is how junk DNA turns out to not be "junk" after all.

Stem cells are something completely different from this matter; just because we discovered something new in the behavior of the genetic code doesn't mean that stem cells automatically are defuct because of this; stem cells are a relatively natural process of cell differentation, nothing more. If it works when yer being developed, it still works placed inside of ya.
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I meant specifically that if this is true for things other than certain types of plant, there's a chance that it will cause stem cells that have been "shifted" into a desired form to shift back to their natural inclination, with possibly nasty consequences. Like autoimmune disorders or something. I don't know. I admit I know little about stem cells beyond the bare basics.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I meant specifically that if this is true for things other than certain types of plant, there's a chance that it will cause stem cells that have been "shifted" into a desired form to shift back to their natural inclination, with possibly nasty consequences. Like autoimmune disorders or something. I don't know. I admit I know little about stem cells beyond the bare basics.
                                It's called cancer. Technically this is just about a difference in this one particular plant; we would need more research into this before we try to theorize about implications on our understanding of the human genome.

Comment

Working...
                                X