Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apolyton Fantasy Baseball DRAFT THREAD 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava
    The Cubs should win the division, barring any injury problems.
    Do you even pay attention to baseball?

Comment

by that I mean, have you paid attention to the Cubs' pitching staff?

Not a pretty sight.

I give Zambrano two weeks before he goes down with something. Maybe a groin pull.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        But the Cardinals aren't going to be tough this year

Yer dreaming. They may have lost some big time players, but the Cards will definetly be tough. They added Mark Mulder as a #1 starter (something they lacked last year). Larry Walker will be there for the entire year. And they have the best corner infielders in the league.
        They lost Renteria, they lost their gold glove catcher, and most importantly, they lost their productive leadoff man. I'd argue that Tony Womack was the Card's MVP last year. Plus, their pitching will not be as good this year. Chris Carpenter has a career year last year and will probably not repeat. Mulder was a good addition, but looking at their rotation, they just won't be as effective as they were last year.

edit: nm
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          They lost Renteria, they lost their gold glove catcher, and most importantly, they lost their productive leadoff man. I'd argue that Tony Womack was the Card's MVP last year. Plus, their pitching will not be as good this year. Chris Carpenter has a career year last year and will probably not repeat. Mulder was a good addition, but looking at their rotation, they just won't be as effective as they were last year.

edit: nm
          renteria: big loss, no doubt
          womack 2004 ed: loss, but there is no way he will put up those numbers again, and even then they weren't great, just great for him
          matheny: moderate loss: no stick, but good leadership. Molina (of the catching Molina's) will be as apt in every way but leadership in the beginning.
          Carpenter: Should be healthier throughout the season, he flamed out at the end, overworked coming off of surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
            by that I mean, have you paid attention to the Cubs' pitching staff?

Not a pretty sight.

I give Zambrano two weeks before he goes down with something. Maybe a groin pull.
            Zambrano is a horse... no injury problems there.

The Cubs pitching staff does have a lot of issues. Matt Clement will be missed. He ate a lot of innings. The bullpen is a mess, no closer. Prior and Wood are both questionable. But they had these same issues last year, and they ended up winning more games than they won the year before.

There's no doubt the Cubs success is contigent on the health of their pitching staff. Glendon Rusch will need to produce like he did last year. And Greg Maddux will have to contribute as well.

There are some positive things to consider though. Wood and Prior both might end up being okay this year. They should combine for more than 14 wins between the two of them. Which is an improvement on last year. Also, LaTroy Hawkins will be better. I highly doubt he will be as bad this year as he was last year. Last year he gave up 9 1-run leads.

The biggest problem last year for the Cubs was team chemistry and off the field distractions. I don't think this was a big story nationally, but the Cubs had all kinds of distractions, not the least of which was the feud between certain individuals and the broadcasters.

Many people are not considering how much the Cubs improved via the subtraction of Alou, Sosa, and Mercker. Those 3 caused many problems that we won't see this year. But I admit it's entirely possible that they will see all new problems rather than the same ones.

Who really knows? I'm an optimistic Cub fan, what can I say?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Steve Stone

Comment

Womack was not that good of a player, and he overperformed last year. They'll be better with someone else there. They'll miss Matheny and Renteria yes. Carpenter has ALWAYS had the potential to do what he did last year. He wasn't someone who just came out of nowhere.

Zambrano is a horse... no injury problems there.

They were saying the same thing about Prior that first year. He has perfect mechanics, that means he won't get hurt, etc, etc. Dusty works his pitchers until their arms fall off. Zambrano's turn will come.

Many people are not considering how much the Cubs improved via the subtraction of Alou, Sosa, and Mercker.

And Cubs fans have not considered how much the Cubs have lost by their replacements . Burnitz?! They do realize he played in Colorado last year, right? He's more of a 25-30HR guy with a .250 average. Who is taking over for Alou anyway?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                  Steve Stone
                  QFT

he makes appearances on a local sports radio station, "The Score" a few times a week... it's great to still hear his voice and his analysis.

I've watched a few spring training games with the new broadcasting crew (Len Kasper and Bob Brenly) and so far I am missing Stone (not so much Caray).
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    They were saying the same thing about Prior that first year. He has perfect mechanics, that means he won't get hurt, etc, etc. Dusty works his pitchers until their arms fall off. Zambrano's turn will come.
                    possible... but about Prior... it wasn't his mechanics that lead to his injury. Although they are saying Kerry Wood's mechanics are the root of his problems.

but Zambrano's innings last year went down from the year before... Dusty is hard on his staff, but I don't see Zambrano pitching that much more than last year.

And Cubs fans have not considered how much the Cubs have lost by their replacements . Burnitz?! They do realize he played in Colorado last year, right? He's more of a 25-30HR guy with a .250 average. Who is taking over for Alou anyway?
                    well, we'll just have to compare Sosa's numbers to Burnitz's this year. I see them being very close, with Burnitz striking out a bit less. Also, Burnitz won't be hitting 3rd or 4th. As I said before, with Sosa gone, Dusty can make a more effective lineup by putting guys where they should be based on production, not some superstar's sense of pride. That is one intangible I think you are overlooking.

As for LF, Hollandsworth will start the season, most likely. Hairston and Dubois will be next on the depth chart. Alou's homers will be missed, there's no doubt. But if Hollandsworth stays healthy, he has the potential to have a good season. If you project Hollandsworth's stats from last year, he hits 25-30 HR and .318. There's no reason he can't produce like that this year. Although I think a more realistic expectation is 25 HR and .290.

I've considered how much the Cubs lost in Sosa and Alou, and I've concluded that despite the drop in power, the offense will be more effective. The question mark in my mind has to deal with Dusty Baker and his ability to manage a different type of team. Last year something like over 40% of the Cubs runs came off of homers. They are built differently this year and Dusty has said they will play a different kind of game. Dusty has always managed teams that rely on the HR, so the jury is out on how well things will go this year.

I'm well aware of things regarding the Cubs. But I choose to be an optimist. Sue me!
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

but Zambrano's innings last year went down from the year before... Dusty is hard on his staff, but I don't see Zambrano pitching that much more than last year.

It isn't what they've just done, but the innings add up, especially what they've done to the arms of pitchers.

Dusty can make a more effective lineup by putting guys where they should be based on production, not some superstar's sense of pride. That is one intangible I think you are overlooking.

It was Dusty who decided that Sosa should be 4th. He loves veterans and plays to them all the time. He's incapable of making an effective lineup by putting guys where they should be because of production. It wasn't Sosa which forced him to bat where he did, it was Dusty.

As for LF, Hollandsworth will start the season, most likely.

Oh lord... Hollandsworth? They need to a deal for a better corner OF... unless there is someone in AAA ready to come up this year. Hollandsworth is a below average player and not someone you'd want for a corner outfield.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I would take him over Zambrano. Zambrano is a Cubs pitcher. Dusty will blow out his arm soon enough.

Zambrano is a hoss(sorry Sava only read the first page). No doubt Baker will try to ruin his arm but I don't think he'll succeed. Still he is an injury risk.

I actually think that both Abreu and Beltran were picked a little low, but that comes from my experience that in head to head offense is more consistent and therefore more valuable than starting pitching.

I think Aram is slightly underrated, but both Rolen and Beltre are slightly over rated, of course this is coming from a Cubs fan.

Beltre could top 50 HRs this season but his batting Avg should take a hit given that he's not really a line drive hitter and had a freakishly high BABIP(H - HR/AB - K) last year. BABIP is usually a good indication of fluke avg's.
                        Anything else I would of said has already been said.
                        Last edited by Moral Hazard; March 23, 2005, 19:52.
                        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Oh lord... Hollandsworth? They need to a deal for a better corner OF... unless there is someone in AAA ready to come up this year. Hollandsworth is a below average player and not someone you'd want for a corner outfield.

I'd like to see Dubois in rather than Hollandsworth. But Dusty aint likely to do that. Edit Dubois is like Jason Bay without the glove, a little more power, and slightly lower avg.
                          Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

1. City Hobgoblins - Stuie
                            2. Georgia Granies - Imran
                            3. Columbus Interns - Guynemer
                            4. The Arcade Fire - asleepatthewheel
                            5. Revenge of the Nerds - jdd
                            6. Berzerker - Berzerker
                            7. Your World Champions - LoA
                            8. Ramsey's Whiffers - gjramsey
                            9. Vancouver Isle Bears - vlad
                            10. Boston Rebels - The Emperor Fabulous
                            11. Houston's Owls of Rice - vlad anterkov
                            12. Apocalypses - Apocalypse

1.1 Albert Pujols (1B - STL)
                            1.2 Alex Rodriguez (3B - NYY)
                            1.3 Randy Johnson (SP - NYY)
                            1.4 Johan Santana (SP - MIN)
                            1.5 Barry Bonds (OF - SF)
                            1.6 Vlad Guerrero (OF - LAA)
                            1.7 Pedro Martinez (SP - NYM)
                            1.8 Carlos Beltran (OF - NYM)
                            1.9 Miguel Tejada (SS - BAL)
                            1.10 Alfonso Soriano (2B - TEX)
                            1.11 Bobby Abreu (OF - PHI)
                            1.12 Jason Schmidt (SP - SF)

2.12 Adrian Beltre (3B - SEA)
                            2.11 Manny Ramirez (OF - BOS)
                            2.10 Ichiro Suzuki (OF - SEA)
                            2.9 Scott Rolen (3B - STL)
                            2.8 Carl Crawford (CF - TB)
                            2.7 Mark Prior (SP - CHC)
                            2.6 Todd Helton (1B - COL)
                            2.5 Jim Thome (1B - PHI)
                            2.4 Eric Gagne (RP - LA)
                            2.3 Jim Edmonds (CF - StL)
                            2.2 Curt Schilling (SP - BOS)
                            2.1 Adam Dunn (1B/OF - CIN)

3.1 Melvin Mora (3B - BAL)
                            3.2 Miguel Cabrera (OF - FLA)
                            3.3 Derek Jeter (SS - NYY)
                            3.4 Mark Teixiera (1B - TEX)
                            3.5 Ben Sheets (SP - MIL)
                            3.6 Roger Clemens (SP - HOU)
                            3.7 David Ortiz (1B - BOS)
                            3.8 Aramis Ram?rez (3B - CHC)
                            3.9 Tim Hudson (SP - ATL)
                            3.10 Carlos Delgado (1B - FLA)
                            3.11 Keith Foulke (RP - BOS)
                            3.12 Brad Lidge (RP - HOU)

4.12 Johnny Damon (CF - BOS)
                            4.11 Mike Young (SS - TEX)
                            4.10 Mariano Rivera (RP - NYY)
                            4.9 Jake Peavy (SP - SD)
                            4.8 Gary Sheffield (OF - NYY)
                            4.7 Francisco Rodriguez (RP - LAA)
                            4.6 Carlos Zambrano (SP - CHI)
                            4.5 Oliver Perez (SP - PIT)
                            4.4 Carlos Guillen (SS - DET)
                            4.3 Aubrey Huff (1B/3B/OF - TB)
                            4.2 Nomar Garciaparra (SS - CHC)
                            4.1 Jimmy Rollins (SS - PHI)

5.1 Francisco Cordero (RP - TEX)
                            5.2 Roy Oswalt (SP - HOU)
                            5.3 Eric Chavez (3B - OAK)
                            5.4 Juan Pierre (CF - FLA)
                            5.5 Hank Blalock (3B - TEX)
                            5.6 Armando Benitez (RP - SFG)
                            5.7 Edgar Renteria (SS - BOS)
                            5.8 Rafael Furcal (SS - ATL)
                            5.9 John Smoltz (SP - ATL)
                            5.10 Josh Beckett (SP - FLA)
                            5.11 Matt Clement (SP - BOS)
                            5.12 Paul Konerko (1B - CWS)

6.12 Lance Berkman (OF - HOU)
                            6.11 Corey Patterson (CF - CHC)
                            6.10 Chipper Jones (3B/OF - ATL)
                            6.9 Sammy Sosa (OF - BAL)
                            6.8 Billy Wagner (RP - PHI)
                            6.7 Marcus Giles (2B - ATL)
                            6.6 Jose Reyes (2B/SS - NYM)
                            6.5 Hideki Matsui (OF - NYY)
                            6.4 Victor Martinez (C - CLE)
                            6.3 Ivan Rodriguez (C - DET)
                            6.2 Travis Hafner (1B - CLE)
                            6.1 Chone Figgins (All sorts of stuff - LAA)

7.1 Carl Pavano (SP - NYY)
                            7.2 Trevor Hoffman (RP - SD)
                            7.3 Kerry Wood (SP - CHC)
                            7.4 Mark Loretta (2B - SD)
                            7.5 Joe Nathan (RP - MIN)
                            7.6 Jason Isringhausen (RP - STL)
                            7.7 Jason Varitek (C - BOS)
                            7.8 Mike Mussina (SP - NYY)
                            7.9 Rich Harden (SP - OAK)
                            7.10 Barry Zito (SP - OAK)
                            7.11 Jorge Posada (C - NYY)
                            7.12 Juan Uribe (2B,3B,SS - CWS)

8.12 Jaret Wright (SP - NYY)
                            8.11 Justin Morneau (1B - MIN)
                            8.10 Javy Lopez (C - BAL)
                            8.9 Joe Mauer (C - MIN)
                            8.8 Jeff Kent (2B - LA)
                            8.7 Mark Mulder (SP - STL)
                            8.6 Mike Piazza (C - NYM)
                            8.5 Scott Podsednik (CF - ChW)
                            8.4 Matt Morris (SP - STL)
                            8.3 Shawn Green (1B/OF - ARI)
                            8.2 Aaron Rowland (CF - ChW)
                            8.1 Carlos Lee (OF - MIL)

9.1 Jeremy Burnitz (CF - CHC)
                            9.2 Johnny Estrada (C - ATL)
                            9.3 Octavio Dotel (RP - OAK)
                            9.4 Roy Halladay (SP - TOR)
                            9.5 Bret Boone (2B - SEA)
                            9.6 Guilermo Mota (RP - FLA)
                            9.7 Mike Lowell (3B - FLA)
                            9.8 Derrek Lee, ChC (1B - CHC)
                            9.9 Ken Griffey Jr. (CF - CIN)
                            9.10 Orlando Cabrera (SS - LAA)
                            9.11 David Wright (3B - NYM)
                            9.12 Pedro Feliz (1B,3B,SS - SF)

10.12 Kelvin Escobar (SP - LAA)
                            10.11 Brad Radke (SP - MIN)
                            10.10 Moises Alou (OF - SF)
                            10.9 Bartolo Colon (SP - LAA)
                            10.8 Richie Sexson (1B - SEA)
                            10.7 Dan Kolb (RP - ATL)
                            10.6 Magglio Ordonez (OF - DET)
                            10.5 Jason Kendall (C - OAK)
                            10.4 JD Drew (OF - LAD)
                            10.3 Sean Casey (1B - CIN)
                            10.2 Chris Carpenter (SP - StL)
                            10.1 Paul Lo Duca (C - FLA)

11.1 Greg Maddux (SP - CHC)
                            11.2 Brian Giles (OF - SD)
                            11.3 Jeremy Bonderman (SP - DET)
                            11.4 Jason Marquis (SP - STL)
                            11.5 Livan Hernández (SP- WAS)
                            11.6 Troy Glaus (3B - ARI)
                            11.7 Trot Nixon (RF - BOS)
                            11.8 Javier Vazquez (SP - ARI)
                            11.9 Jason Bay (OF - PIT)
                            11.10 Odalis Perez (SP - LA)
                            11.11 Ray Durham (2B - SFG)
                            11.12 Ryan Freel (2B,3B,CF - CIN)

12.12 Mark Buehrle (SP - CHW)
                            12.11 CC Sabathia (SP - CLE)
                            12.10 Vernon Wells (CF - TOR)
                            12.9 Austin Kearns (OF - CIN)
                            12.8 A.J. Burnett (SP - FLA)
                            12.7 Yhency Brazoban (RP - LOS)
                            12.6 Garrett Anderson (CF - LAA)
                            12.5 Shingo Takatsu (RP - ChW)
                            12.4 Larry Walker (OF - StL)
                            12.3 Freddy Garcia (SP - ChW)
                            12.2 Jose Vidro (2B - WAS)
                            12.1 Danny Graves (RP - CIN)

13.1 Pat Burrell (OF - PHI)
                            13.2 Troy Percival (RP - DET)
                            13.3 Brian Roberts (2B - BAL)
                            13.4 Aaron Boone (3B - CLE)
                            13.5 Tom Gordon (RP - NYY)
                            13.6 Chase Utley (2B - PHI)
                            13.7 Lew Ford (CF - MIN)
                            13.8 Jose Mesa (RP - PIT)
                            13.9 Scott Kazmir ( SP - TB)
                            13.10 B.J. Ryan (RP - BAL)
                            13.11 Bob Wickman (RP - CLE)
                            13.12 Jake Westbrook (SP CLE)

14.12 Michael Barrett (C - CHC)
                            14.11 Phil Nevin (1B - SD)
                            14.10 Dave Roberts (CF - SD)
                            14.9 Tadahito Iguchi (2B - CHW)
                            14.8 Brad Penny (SP - LAD)
                            14.7 Jose Guillen (OF - WAS)
                            14.6 Derek Lowe (SP-LA)
                            14.5 Steve Finley (CF-LAA)
                            14.4 Braden Looper (RP -NYM)
                            14.3 LaTroy Hawkins (RP - CHC)

Sava: I acknowledged that Wood was a risk when I picked him.

Imran: Thanks for the PM; unfortunately, I can not read them at work. You're much better off trying to email me, umopus@yahoo.com. Sorry for the delay on the pick; I had a rather bad day at work.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

****! Hold on.

Comment

Pick fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X