Hey Commies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Commies!

Nah....actually I mean those in nations belonging to the (former?) British Commonwealth

Just saw tv news, they had something on Prince Charles and his darling. Not that I care much about it, but they said if Charles becomes king one day, Camilla would automatically become queen unless the parliaments of all Commonwealth members decide against it?!?

This made me think - what meaning has the Commonwealth today? I always thought it is more a symbolic thing or has it any importance in for example political questions?
    Blah

I think that in terms of economics there are alot of preferred relationships that go in the Commonwealth.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The commenwealth means: 20 years ago, Brits could vote in the Australian elections. Then that stopped.
      60 years ago, we'd automatically go to war to help if you did. That's gone too.
      Today, it amounts to 6 month visas for Aussie tourists and the Commenwealth games. Also, the 5 dollar Australian note used to have Queen Liz on one face. That's still legal tender, but methinks its being phased out.
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Colonial swines!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Damn misleading title.. I was gonna do some bashing... I could bash the British for being British... but that's for another day.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

You couldn't bash your own skull on a brick wall, quite frankly...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              You couldn't bash your own skull on a brick wall, quite frankly...
              That's because I have some common sense not to risk myself injury. You on the other hand try to break a brick wall by trying to slam into it with your head.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

That's because I have some common sense not to risk myself injury. You on the other hand try to break a brick wall by trying to slam into it with your head.
                No, not really...
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Re: Hey Commies!

Originally posted by BeBro
                  Nah....actually I mean those in nations belonging to the (former?) British Commonwealth

Just saw tv news, they had something on Prince Charles and his darling. Not that I care much about it, but they said if Charles becomes king one day, Camilla would automatically become queen unless the parliaments of all Commonwealth members decide against it?!?

This made me think - what meaning has the Commonwealth today? I always thought it is more a symbolic thing or has it any importance in for example political questions?
                  Definitely not former. What led you to think so?

What you should have got was that for Camilla to be Queen would need nothing. If she marries Charles and he becomes King, she is Queen by default.

What needs change is the idea of consort but not Queen. That is the question.

Why is the Commonwealth important? Well, in 1939 some German adventurer decided that a Polish radio station was a blemish on the world. The Commonwealth went to war to back Britain in that case.

Today the Commonwealth has less pull, but such an effect is not entirely gone. When the Argentines invaded a sheep farm, the Govt of Canada offered assistance to Her Majesties Government. We were turned down, we believe because the Brits wanted all the sheep to themselves.

Pick a fight with New Zealand. Go ahead, I dare ya. You might not like the reaction.

Aside from that, the monarchy is important to our laws and peaceful government. The monarch fills the place of presidents as head of state. There are legalities and formalities that surround the monarch. That is why the relationship of Charles and Camilla is of interest outside of the British tabloids.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Personally, I want NZ to become a Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                      Personally, I want NZ to become a Republic.
                      Pros and cons, in a nutshell, please.
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Re: Hey Commies!

Originally posted by BeBro

the short answer is your tv news got it wrong, she'll never become Queen, in the same way that the Queen's husband (prince philip) isn't king.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

No, the news was right. She'll be Queen because the King's wife is automatically Queen unless we change the law to allow her to have a different title. Regardless in that case the King is the head of state. The "all commonwealth members" bit is new to me though.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Prince Philip isn't king - but it's different if the Queen is the head of state. Having a Queen who's head of state with a consort as husband is the exception not the norm. Normal case is King = Head of state, Queen his wife.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                              The "all commonwealth members" bit is new to me though.
                              I think it's more an observation, rather inaccurately stated, that what the Brits do has an impact beyond your shores.

Usually it is Westminster alone where any such question would be decided if it needed deciding. However, any decision would effect all Commonwealth states that keep the monarch as head of state, obviously.

Just a strange thought though, what happens if New Zealand and Canada recognise Camilla as Queen after Westminster says otherwise? I don't think it's possible. Part of the Constitutional order would have to be recognising the decisions of Westminster and the Palace.

Welcome to empire.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X