• Show
Clear All

• Just how fast are PowerMacs, really?

Answer: Not very.
    real world speed test results for performance minded Macintosh users

Ouch.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

duh
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Why would you buy a Macintosh for games?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
        Why would you buy a Macintosh?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
          Why would you buy a Macintosh for games?
          Or for Photoshop and Maya, apparently.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I love my PC.

Comment

big it up for athlooooooooooooooon! WOOH WOOH WOOH!
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How unbiased of you to post ALL results, not only those where the Mac was slower
                  The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Noting how the G5's have lower GHz than the PC counterparts, so OF COURSE THEY'RE GOING TO BE SLOWER!!

I'm not a fanboy because I know absolutely **** all, but isn't this all just a little obvious?
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                      Noting how the G5's have lower GHz than the PC counterparts, so OF COURSE THEY'RE GOING TO BE SLOWER!!

I'm not a fanboy because I know absolutely **** all, but isn't this all just a little obvious?
                      Not at all. clockspeed isn't the only factor in speed.

Comment

Blame Apple. That's the fastest GHz they got.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ah fair enough. If they can account for the difference in GHz (i.e., level that playing field) then that's a good basis for a comparison between the processors themselves (presumably the technology and not the clock speed).

That Apple are using processors with slower clock speeds in their machines isn't good news for their machines but doesn't necessarily reflect badly on the processor. I don't know the ins and outs of processors so I can't tell you which is the better architecture, certainly not from the graphs you've posted.
                          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

The processor is fine, it's one I've worked with day in and out now for 10 months. It's a nice chip.

The problem is in a few areas:
                            1) Apple has a crap multimedia architecture -- they don't have a DirectX they can use, and their userbase is so small that their OpenGL drivers don't get the optimization that the PC ones do
                            2) Apple uses a "full" Microkernel design, similar to Windows NT 3.0 back in the old-days. MS chose to move device drivers into kernel-land for performance boosts, and Apple's OS X doesn't do that. They have additional overhead, accordingly.
                            3) OS X isn't a prime example of efficiency, to say the least

Comment

It's a nice chip.

It's an IBM chip, IIRC.

coincidence?
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X