Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The myth that software popularity doesn't affect number of vulnerabilities is a myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The myth that software popularity doesn't affect number of vulnerabilities is a myth

Symantec: Mac OS X a hacker target
    March 21 2005
    by Munir Kotadia
    "The Macintosh operating system has not always been a safe haven from malicious code..."

Security vendor Symantec is warning that Apple's OS X operating system is increasingly becoming a target for hackers and malware authors.

In its seventh bi-annual Internet Security Threat Report, Symantec said over the past year, security researchers had discovered at least 37 serious vulnerabilities in the Mac OS X system. According to Symantec, as Apple increases its market share - with new low cost products such as the Mac mini - its userbase is likely to come under increasing attack.

"Contrary to popular belief, the Macintosh operating system has not always been a safe haven from malicious code," Symantec said. "Out of the public eye for some time, it is now clear that the Mac OS is increasingly becoming a target for the malicious activity that is more commonly associated with Microsoft and various Unix-based operating systems," the report said.

"Apple Computer has become a target for new attacks… The appearance of a rootkit called Opener in October 2004 serves to illustrate the growth in vulnerability research on the OS X platform… The various OS X vulnerabilities allow attackers to carry out information disclosure, authentication bypass, code execution, privilege escalation and DoS attacks. Symantec believes that as the popularity of Apple's new platform continues to grow, so too will the number of attacks directed at it," the report said.

Symantec's concerns were echoed by James Turner, security analyst at Frost & Sullivan Australia, who said many of the people who bought Apple products were not concerned about security, which left them wide open to attack.

"The iPod, PowerBooks and mini Macs are cool products," Turner said. "The by-product is that people are buying these products for form over function. They say it looks pretty and then buy it but don't secure it. As Apple increases its market share, it will be a legitimate target".

Trend Micro senior systems engineer Adam Biviano said all complex operating systems had security flaws and the more popular the platform, the more likely it would be attacked.

"All sophisticated platforms - Mac, Linux, Solaris or anything else - will have vulnerabilities," Biviano said. "The only reason Windows has had mass exploits written for it is the sheer number of connected devices that are present on most networks. As soon as you start seeing mass deployment of any technology you are going to see exploits."

According to Biviano, while there have not been any mass outbreaks of viruses targeting the Mac, the potential does exist.

"You don't see Macintosh viruses in mass outbreaks but you do see them in the labs as proof of concepts. There aren't any outbreaks because there are simply are not enough [Macs] out there. For a virus to be successful it needs a combination of an exploit and a large target audience," said Biviano, who nominated the mobile phone market as an example of malware writers targeting the most popular platform, not Microsoft's platform.

"Look at where mobile viruses are going and they are not targeting Microsoft - they are targeting the market leader, which is Symbian," he said.

The Symantec report found in the second half of last year an increasing proportion of malware designed to expose confidential information. The report also found that phishing attacks increased by 366 per cent while the number of Windows-based worms and viruses increased by only 64 per cent when compared to the first half of 2004.
    I've been saying this all along, and in fact I considered it to be common sense, but certain people here seem to disagree...

Discuss...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Isn't this common knowledge? You'd have to be a pretty big fan boy to believe OS X has no vulnerabilities.

Comment

So a myth is a myth.
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
        Isn't this common knowledge? You'd have to be a pretty big fan boy to believe OS X has no vulnerabilities.
        It's not just about OS X, it's about Linux as well.

Certain people here say the reason that there's no widespread viruses on Mac and Linux is because of their design. I've argued that as long as you have stupid users or a single vulnerability, you'll have viruses/exploits. The amount depends on how juicy the target is.

Urban Ranger insists this is a myth...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The *only* inherent advantage with regards to security that I can think of with regards to Windows vs. Linux/OSX etc, is the whole user priviliges thing. But windows offers that, it's just idiocy on the part of the user, not any fault of the designers.
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Does anyone actually believe that myth though?
            Im no industry expert, but thats like saying ppl try harder to find flaws in banks than in my jeans pocket...

Comment

Believe what myth?

What is the point in investing time and energy into writing a virus to target something with 2% marketshare when you can hit something with 95%+ marketshare?

It's a psychological question more than anything else. People who write viruses are out for fame or have an appetite for destruction, neither of which lend themselves to tiny marketshares...
              Last edited by Asher; March 22, 2005, 02:19.

Comment

I don't think this even qualifies as a myth. More of a limited-impact reality inversion.

SP
                I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Re: The myth that software popularity doesn't affect number of vulnerabilities is a m

Originally posted by Asher
                  I've been saying this all along, and in fact I considered it to be common sense, but certain people here seem to disagree...

Discuss...
                  You quote something Mr Adam Biviano said as gospel?

So much for you, Asher
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                    The *only* inherent advantage with regards to security that I can think of with regards to Windows vs. Linux/OSX etc, is the whole user priviliges thing.
                    That is completely incorrect. There are huge fundamental flaws to the design of Windows. Bruce Schneier said a whole bunch of things here, and that's just part of it. Notice that newsletter was published in February 2002, yet MS has done little to fix the problems outlined.
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      That is completely incorrect. There are huge fundamental flaws to the design of Windows.
                      This is seriously about the seventh time you've said this, and the seventh time I've asked: "Such as?"

It's time for you to step up to the plate.

Comment

Re: Re: The myth that software popularity doesn't affect number of vulnerabilities is

You quote something Mr Adam Biviano said as gospel?

So much for you, Asher
                        Quiz:

1) How many people are quoted with the same opinion in the article? (Hint: more than one)
                        2) How many people are more qualified to make an opinion in the article? (Hint: all are more qualified than you)
                        3) Who has shown some fundamental ignorance about computer security? (Hint: it's the person who confused a stack exploit and a heap exploit, then denied there are heap exploits. Hint2: you)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          This is seriously about the seventh time you've said this, and the seventh time I've asked: "Such as?"
                          If you don't know, you shouldn't be a Computer Science student.

Comment

SP
                            I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

If you don't know, you shouldn't be a Computer Science student.

You are so transparant, old man.

Shouldn't you be off imaging some computers?

Comment

Working...
                              X