Stupid questions about education...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid questions about education...

So, I'm going to university later this year, and study to become a doctor. Or study medicine as we say in my country. Asmodean finally getting an education at the "tender" age of 34

This got me thinking: What is the American system (just curious). I have heard about something called pre-med. Is that some you study to qualify yourself for medical school?? How long does it take to become a doctor in your country?

Stupid questions, I know, but I'm just curious.

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

ok I have to say I don't know how this medical thing works in the US, however we have system where you go for doctorate of anything, where you first graduate from university (this being the same as graduating from grad school from the US), and then you might get the opportunity to go for the doctorate of something (PhD), or a real doctor if you are studying medicine. However, just like in uni, where you can just go for Bachelour of something.. you can go further for Masters... right? So, the same kind of thing happens, you study apx half, and then you can be 'candidate', which would indicate the word pre-med, because you're not a doctor before that and you can't become a doctor before you have succesfully become that, and after that few years smore and you'll be a doctor.

THEN AGAIN, this is how it goes in sciences etc, not sure if this is how it goes in medicine, because I believe they go straight up to the doctor thing in medicine... like in here, if you want to study medicine to become a doctor, you have to qualify into university's department of science of medicine or something like that, and you'll become a doctor. You don't first get Bachelor from totally somethign else and then decide to go for medicine, no, you go straight at it from high school level or you don't do it at all. IF you want to be a doctor that is.. if you want to be nurse or some kind of other researcher, then you can do other routes.

So yeah I think the pre-med is something you would apply after the grad school, or normal college degree, not sure, and then you go there and get tons of credits and then if you are succesful, meaning you get grades enough taht you can be considered as being more than a candidate, then you take the next step adn finish it up and become a doctor.

Funny really, I've been thinking about getting PhD (yeah I knwo it's not the same thing, since I've been advancing fast enough to consider it a viable option. I have decided, that should I get an awesome job opportunity before I graduate from Uni, I'll most likely take that, but if there is no superjob waiting for me (more likely), then I'll keep studying and make myself PhD bastard. Adds up another 3 or 4 years, but who cares.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

BUMP
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Pre med is the basics you take before medical school the length of time is about 8 years to be a doctor that doesnt include the tiime after for residency or even specialty fellowships. so to pratice im gonna say bout 12 years
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Working...
        X