The First Amendment and more signs the future is bleak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    I remember when I was in high school, there were fellow students arguing that it was right that we shouldn't have privacy rights because if we didn't have anything to hide, it wouldn't be a problem.
    People have always argued that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      People have always argued that.
      Many people have always been inclined towards authoritarianism. I imagine if this poll were taken at large, it would find similar results.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I wonder how people who think the government should be able to control our speech imagine that a challenger could ever defeat an incumbant who was effectively silencing his rival?

without freedom of the press there is no democracy of any kind. full stop.

Why is it that stupidity always seems so much more widespread in polls than among people we meet and talk to?

Comment

Since the White House has admitted that it paid columnists to write articles and produced news-like stories that it distributed to tv news stations, would this be an example of the media "out of control" or the media being manipulated into that nice, cushy control thing?
          Just curious.
          Neither. It means that the news organizations aren't spending any money on news gathering. It happens with the drug industry too. They prepackage footage for the news programs. The news programs use it because it's free and of reasonable visual quality.

As for the survey, I don't believe the results when this comes up...

Only half of students surveyed (51%) said newspapers should be allowed to publish stories without prior government approval.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

-Seventy-five percent erroneously think flag burning is illegal.

it should be

As for the study its poop, I remember years ago thinking how much better things would be if it were like the world in '1984'.

what a dumbass I was/am.

Comment

Looking over this thread...I just don't know about some people.

Apathy is the mother of Despair.

To not know where your rights come from and why they are important is the first step to losing them.

Sad...sad...sad.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

While I do not have any access to facts, empirical evidence suggests that these studies are not entirely accurate. I went to highschool in central virginia, and there did not seem to be a large minority of people who were unsupportive of the first ammendment.

Also, lately, people with authoritarian tendencies tend to vote Republican. Given that, among 18-24 year olds, Kerry won by 74%, there is some hope to the youth of today. However, I suppose that you could argue that the people who don't care about the first ammendment probably wouldn't vote, so my argument may be spurious. But it doesn't feel right.
                "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

As for the survey, I don't believe the results when this comes up...
                  Having been in highschool more recently than you, I can attest that its not out of the question. I remember a debate we had in my Honors Civics & Government class about Censorship, and how a larger group than I was comfortable with (maybe 40% of the class) thought that newpapers should have governmental scrutiny.
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Morale to the story, dont lower the voting age.

Comment

Agreed
                      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                        -Seventy-five percent erroneously think flag burning is illegal.

it should be
                        nope... I would never burn the American flag... I think it's a disgraceful display of ignorance.

But the second it became illegal, I would burn it. Because that's when it becomes a worthless piece of ****.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                          Why is it that stupidity always seems so much more widespread in polls than among people we meet and talk to?
                          Smart people tend to stay away from idiots.

Comment

Smart people tend to stay away from idiots.

Apolyton being the prime example of how Kuci is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              nope... I would never burn the American flag... I think it's a disgraceful display of ignorance.

But the second it became illegal, I would burn it. Because that's when it becomes a worthless piece of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                                Birds of a feather flock together.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X