Evil capitalists call Castro rich!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos
    And of course one of the characteristics of meglomaniacs is that they believe they will always be in power, planning ahead by stashing money in bank accounts doesn't make sense if you don't entertain the notion of being toppled. Saddam had to rob his nations bank when he ran away, not his own account.
    That's not true. Many dictators loot their countries. The Shah, the Marcoses, Mbutu Sese Seko, the Saudis, etc. For most of their reign, they looked invincible. Only the Saudis are still in power.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Kruschev was deposed and sent to run a hydroelectric plant out in the boonies. The leaders who took over made Kruschev's children suffer also. Dictators who are deposed do not have nearly as good a record for leaving their children in good shape as Dictators whose sucession goes according to their wishes.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

brutal, no

History disagrees with that assesment. Frankly I think we went after the wrong dictator. Saddam? Pffft, we should have taken out Castro.

A power and money hungry person wouldn't lead a revolution.

Napoleon, anyone?

What do you think most coup d'etats are about?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          brutal, no

History disagrees with that assesment. Frankly I think we went after the wrong dictator. Saddam? Pffft, we should have taken out Castro.

Oh, really? Where are the death squads? Where are the gulags? Where is the torture? Two thousand prisoners of conscience doesn't brutal make. Repressive, yes. Brutal, far from it. Bush executed more people as governor of Texas than Castro has.

A power and money hungry person wouldn't lead a revolution.

Napoleon, anyone?

What do you think most coup d'etats are about?

A coup d'etat is not a revolution. Nappy had an army and a string of military victories saving France. Then he seized power. In otherwords, he ingratiated himself with those in power before taking it for himself. He's the exact opposite of Castro, and proves my point.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
            Kruschev was deposed and sent to run a hydroelectric plant out in the boonies. The leaders who took over made Kruschev's children suffer also. Dictators who are deposed do not have nearly as good a record for leaving their children in good shape as Dictators whose sucession goes according to their wishes.
            And Brezhnev's kids and Lenin's decendents, where are they? On the other hand, Nixon's kids are exceedingly wealthy. Ken Lay's kids won't be hurting for anything. There is a difference between power and wealth. One will frequently get you access to the other, but don't mistake one for the other.

Comment

Remind me what happened to Lenin again? As for Breshnev, his kids got plum positions in the top universities and plum positions in the government when they got out of college. Of course, with the collapse of the Soviet Union those former positions aren't nearly as plum.....
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Remind me what happened to Lenin again?

He had a stroke and died and became a postumous saint of the USSR. They mumified his body and made it a tourist attraction.

As for Breshnev, his kids got plum positions in the top universities and plum positions in the government when they got out of college. Of course, with the collapse of the Soviet Union those former positions aren't nearly as plum.....

They might have had nicer jobs, but they were hardly wealthy. Wealth is transferable.

Comment

Bush executed more people as governor of Texas than Castro has.
                  I would sure love to see you back that up

Then again one of the key things about repressive dictators is that you never know how many they have killed.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I meant to ask what happened to Lenin's kids. I honestly don't know.

Comment

oh come on Imran, now you are just being dense...

Castro sucks... Cuba is repressive... there's no free speech. But it's not Iraq. Castro isn't killing hundreds of thousands of people.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, oddly enough I spent the afternoon playing Tropico.

As for the rest... what Che said.

Plus the people in Cuban jails deserve it. Whether they know it or not, they want to turn Cuba into a place where kids stitch baseballs for 2 cents a day rather than go to school.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Remind me what happened to Lenin again?

He had a stroke and died and became a postumous saint of the USSR. They mumified his body and made it a tourist attraction.
                          I saw it creepy as sh1te. Overall red square was much over rated, 'cepting Basil''s cathedral.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I meant to ask what happened to Lenin's kids. I honestly don't know.

Nadezhda K. Krupskaya (February 26, 1869 - February 27, 1939) was a Russian Marxist revolutionary. She married Bolshevik founder Vladimir Lenin in 1898. She was a functionary of the Bolshevik faction of the RSDLP from the early days. After the Russian Revolution, she was appointed deputy to Anatoli Lunacharsky, the People's Commissar for Education.

Although she was highly regarded within the party, Krupskaya was unable to prevent Joseph Stalin's consolidation of power after Lenin's death. She was then politically isolated by Stalin and his supporters.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              Plus the people in Cuban jails deserve it. Whether they know it or not, they want to turn Cuba into a place where kids stitch baseballs for 2 cents a day rather than go to school.

Oy vey. The "crime" they are accused of does not even have an objective standard of evidence. AFAIK they didn't even get a trial. Victory by any means necessary is also known as defeat.

Free all political prisoners now!
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Oy vey. The "crime" they are accused of does not even have an objective standard of evidence.

They are people like the Poly conservatives. If only other countries were as enlightened as Cuba.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X