Fuel cell motorbike - too quiet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cell motorbike - too quiet!

I don't know if all fuel cell vehicles have this problem - maybe loud sound systems should be mandatory.

LONDON (Reuters) - Environmentally minded British motorcycle engineers have produced a zero-emission bike that ticks all the right boxes except one -- it's too quiet.
    So quiet in fact that its designers are looking to introduce artificial vroom to keep potential customers happy. Powered by a high pressure hydrogen fuel cell, the Emissions Neutral Vehicle (ENV) produces the equivalent noise of a personal computer fan belt.

Not only is that distinctly wimpish in the eyes of many bikers, it could also be dangerous.

Makers Intelligent Energy are looking at ways to produce an artificial engine noise that will alert people to its presence, making sure the machine is not silent and deadly.

"We will consider that," said Nick Talbot, the project leader at Seymourpowell, who were hired by Intelligent Energy to design a bike to their brief.

The British designed and built bike, which has no gears, can reach speeds of 50 miles per hour.

Motorcycle enthusiasts have welcomed the green innovation but say some bikers like the roar of an engine and the thrill of going fast.

"It fits the definition of a motorcycle, but not as we know it," said Jeff Stone, a spokesman for the British Motorcycle Federation.

"The motorcycle is a primitive thing and it appeals to the inner person. The excitement and exhilaration of a bike is why people ride them."

Stone, however, believes that the "soft and cuddly" green bike could be useful in city traffic.

The bike's briefcase-sized fuel cell needs to be topped up every 100 miles and so far there is only one station in Britain that supplies the type of hydrogen required.

But its makers believe that will change.

"The whole point of the project is to say the technology is here, it works, so now put the infrastructure up," said Talbot.
    Anyone fancy one? OK, 50mph top speed is a let down - but that figure is only going to increase...
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

hey, if this is a city bike, then its no problem
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
      hey, if this is a city bike, then its no problem
      It is for pedestrians who probably won't hear it coming.
      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

oh, no, i was referring to the 50 mph thing
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

yeah they need to create an artificial sound. Kind of like in Vegas our slot machines create the sound of coins dropping even though a lot of our machines are coinless. .

But it would be difficult to make it sound realistic with a small speaker. It'd probably sound like a moped. but it essentually is a moped if it can only go 50 mph. It wouldn't sound right if it sounded like a Harley.

Comment

It should sound like a bicycle's bell

To hell with the Barbarians who want to pollute and be a danger for others with their highly polluting troglodyte harleys
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

More cowbell!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                More cowbell!!!!
                Hear hear!

Perhaps a sound system should be installed with a recording that repeats over and over something like:

Hey! Look at me! I've got a motorcycle! Which means that my penis cannot be small!
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Electric scooters are very popular in China. Some of the models are quite cool, but I can tell you, the silence really is dangerous.

You can't hear one approaching you, and believe me, when it comes to Chinese motorists, you want to hear them coming.
                  Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Working...
                  X