Fat Polytubbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dissident
    21.7, but I'm still a little overweight. My waist is still pudgy, and I can't fit into pants I could when I was a teenager. Even 32's are a little tight for me. I used to wear 30 sized waist.

I did get down to 133 pounds last year after losing 50 pounds of weight, but I gained 10 pounds back.
    You must have limbs like twigs. At a BMI of 25, I've got a 32 inch waist. Then again, I'm built like an orang-utan.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

this test will give accurate results for 95% percent of all people. only pro athletes and stuff will have problems, as those who are buffed up. however, being that buff cant be good for you (if youre 5ft 8, 215, even if its all muscle, that cant be good for you)
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

I'm going to have to pull the bull**** flag.

You are telling me you are 5'7" and 220 pounds!

You must be built like Arnold Swarchenegger was in the 70's then.
        There is an element of truth there though...I am the same height and weigh about 200 now...when I used to weigh 140 at this height I looked emaciated and that is supposedly 'normal'. I am very heavily built - what would be normal for me would be the upper end of that normal BMI...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          This test doesn't take into account age or ethnic differences. Older people tend to be fatter

yup.
          I didn't say fatter
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

BMI = 21.1
            145lb - 5'10
            66m - 1.77m

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
              this test will give accurate results for 95% percent of all people. only pro athletes and stuff will have problems, as those who are buffed up. however, being that buff cant be good for you (if youre 5ft 8, 215, even if its all muscle, that cant be good for you)
              Nah- I don't buy that. If you've got a big frame you'll weigh more, even with no fat.

Comment

I guess I'm normal - 5'10", 170lbs, BMI 24.4
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                  Be honest in the poll, if your BMI is 25.1, you are overweight, it does not matter is your only .2 there.

77kg and 1.76m = 24.9
                  170 lb and 5' 9" = 25.1

Which should I use.
                  Whichever is more exact.

As for the complaints about the test:

Yes, as JohnT said, the issue is one of Body MASS. There is an "ideal" healthy bodyweight, and deviation from this "ideal". being big and muscle bound might be considered healthy by some, but such people are definitelly out of norm. You can go further up than you can down, because of course you go down enough, you are dead.

This is the definition that is used by states, given that they need something to guage this issue, and its difficult to start putting in all other possible variables.

So get over it.

As for the Frame issue- the human body has so many shapes. People are generally NOT square, unless they are short and fat.

So again, get over it.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Arnold competed at around 250 lbs at ~4-5% bodyfat. I'm not competition lean, I'm just not fat i.e. no paunch, no obvious excess. If I was to powerlift again I'd drop to around 200 in competition and be quite lean.

EDIT: like I said I dont float in fresh water at all. Fat floats and increases bouyancy.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

No one has to get over anything, you've got to get context on the whole concept.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Nah- I don't buy that. If you've got a big frame you'll weigh more, even with no fat.
                        sure, but the bigger you are, the shorter your life will be. how old do you think shaq and yao are gonna be when they die? nowhere near the average lifespan thats for sure.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

As for the Frame issue- the human body has so many shapes. People are generally NOT square, unless they are short and fat.

So again, get over it.
                          When you sport a 46 inch chest and 18 inch neck, the simple laws of physics would suggest that unless that you're some sort of human/helium hybrid, you're going to weigh more. So get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

sure, but the bigger you are, the shorter your life will be. how old do you think shaq and yao are gonna be when they die? nowhere near the average lifespan thats for sure.
                            Who let the Grim Reaper in and told him he had something to contribute?

Comment

its a fact - the bigger you are, no matter for what reason, the more your heart needs to pump blood, the quicker it will get worn out on average, and the sooner you will die. what you eat has of course a part in how long you live, but two people who eat the same stuff, both are fit, but one is larger will end up dead first on average.

Comment

Well that's most cheering to know, but it has very little relevance to the post of mine you quoted.

Comment

Working...
                                X