No announcement yet.

Fat Euros!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a dramatic weight problem indeed, and it's partly because of new processed foods, but also because the current fat old generation is the first one to have no food shortage whatsoever.

Our traditional foods are actually quite fat (especially in Germanic Europe, where it's a heap of fat), and this tradition is only normal in the light of the food shortages our peasantry had to fight for millenia: at that time, you ingurgitated the most nourishing food you could.

At least in France, the government initiatives don't favour traditional foods (except wine), but healthy, vegetable heavy diets. Over here, the fattest are often the poorest, because they can only afford cheap unhealthy food. Besides, uneducated populations are also more likely not to have a good nutrition.

Over here, we have done several things to curb the progression of the fatties: our school restaurants are relatively fat-light and vegetable-heavy ("relatively" being the key word). We have begun removing soda automatic distributors in schools and replacing them by fruit automats. There are more courses that explain how to keep slim. But these initiatives can't solve the main problem, which is that we have a very sedentary lifestyle now, and that we eat probably more enegry than ever before.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

2 out of every 3 american males are obese? Bull****
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        Out west we're the healthiest and weight the least but the south is fat, fat fat.
        Thats what happens when you eat deep-fat-fried twinkies.

Comment

Re: Fat Euros!

since Greek women are obese 38% of the time.
          Weird. I didn't notice anything of this when I was there. Of course, my attention may have been attracted by the other 62%.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
            2 out of every 3 american males are obese? Bull****
            Take it up with Fox News.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Time to lose some weight again, I guess...

Comment

I am obese- the definition of Obese is as follows:

While several accepted classifications and definitions exist for degrees of obesity, the most widely accepted is the World Health Organization (WHO) criteria based on BMI. Under this convention for adults, grade 1 overweight (commonly and simply called overweight) is a BMI of 25-29.9 kg/m2. Grade 2 overweight (commonly called obesity) is a BMI of 30-39.9 kg/m2. Grade 3 overweight (commonly called severe or morbid obesity) is a BMI greater than or equal to 40 kg/m2.

I weigh 101 Kg and I am 1.75 Meters tall, so I have a BMI in the mid 30's, hence I am obese. At the same time, I am not round. So someone can be obese without seeming to the nakes eye to be some human mountain. I should lose about 20 kg to get out of being overweight.

My BMI is 32.1 actually. Actually, not to be overweight, I would have to go from 222lbs to 168 lbs, or 54 lbs, so 25 kg of wieght loss.

The thing is, If I weighted 180 lbs, I would still be overweight, but much healthier than today, and probably healthy enough.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What is 155 pounds and 6'1" at in that BMI scale? I bet underweight..
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
                    What is 155 pounds and 6'1" at in that BMI scale? I bet underweight..
                    That's 20.4

The calculator

According to them, that's in the normal weight range.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

athletes and such make up less then 1% of US populatiion. what about the other 66%?

There are plenty of amature athletes. Not to mention a good majority of high-school athletes are far larger than thier peers.

While several accepted classifications and definitions exist for degrees of obesity, the most widely accepted is the World Health Organization (WHO) criteria based on BMI. Under this convention for adults, grade 1 overweight (commonly and simply called overweight) is a BMI of 25-29.9 kg/m2. Grade 2 overweight (commonly called obesity) is a BMI of 30-39.9 kg/m2. Grade 3 overweight (commonly called severe or morbid obesity) is a BMI greater than or equal to 40 kg/m2.

BMI = BS

Im supposedly dead in the center (22.1), "ideal" I guess. Im much skinnier than I should be.

Comment

The East Midlands of the UK is the area of greatest proportion of fat birds.

It's Fat Slag Land, I tell you!
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

That's 20.4

The calculator

According to them, that's in the normal weight range.
                          Must be the muscles I have in my legs for all the running I do..

But yes I think the BMI indicator is crap. I'm categorized as underweight by many other indicators.. I way more skinny for my height then I should be.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Ban the marketing of junk food at children and free, healthy school meals for all children. That'd be a good start.

Comment

In any event Greeks are now the fattest people on Earth
                              I wonder how many places they would drop on the chart, if MarkG decided to leave

Asmodean
                              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Pah. School food wasn't that good.

College on the other hand, has too much food. There's a tradition at my college called the Freshman 15: You will always gain 15 pounds in your freshman year. I personally can't believe they freaking have fast food there.
                                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X