• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

visit the age thread
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
      Americans on average recieve more schooling then anyone else in the world.

You can't measure schooling in years or hours.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        I'm talking about public schools K-12, not universities...
        I still don't think public schools in Europe are all that great.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
          Mrs Tuberski individually you're correct but as a whole you don't think Europeans can be bad test-takers or have bad days too?
          Your right they can have bad days but as a whole the surveys taken are always biased by the time, place, people interviewed, and date taken. This is the only thing i got out of the statastic class I had to take for my degree
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

It's materialism. People don't understand what's really important in the world, only that the bigger the tv, the more actualized you are as a person.
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

yup
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Are you guys saying that TV has become a babysitter?
                When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
                  Is our system really that much worse? I think American universities are far better then anything they have in Europe.
                  *cough*
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                    Are you guys saying that TV has become a babysitter?
                    In many cases it has.

Latchkey kids
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Hey I like the TV.. I like the discovery channel and other channels. But I'm not against people getting more exercise.

Story here

"By their calculations — disputed by skeptics as shaky and overly dire — within 50 years obesity likely will shorten the average life span of 77.6 years by at least two to five years. That's more than the impact of cancer or heart disease, said lead author S. Jay Olshansky, a longevity researcher at the University of Illinois at Chicago. "

I personally think they are full of crap with their estimations but they do have a good point that health issues will start to crop up.

More exercise, less TV.
                      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Probably has something to do with the teaching systems. I don't recall hearing that the European systems dumb down the class to the slowest student. It's hard to excel when the class plods along at the slowest rate of the slowest student, rather then at the average.

More money won't fix most of the troubled systems in the US. That's been examined. Reform the system, reform teachers (studies of US colleges found the college staff themselves felt their teaching of education wasn't worth the trouble of taking), dismiss tenior, make teachers take achievement/knowledge test when they start and ever 5 years thereafter. There's a ton of suggestions from various studies and think tanks on how to improve the American educational system. Everything but more money is opposed by teacher unions. Especially any form of testing. Seems teachers don't believe in testing (particularly standardized testing) as a means of proving you have a basic knowledge of a subject. Does anyone else from American schooling see the irony of that statement?
                        -Darkstar
                        (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                          The United States has an anti-intellectualist culture and general apathy towards learning. Throwing money at schools and forcing children to "learn" 24/7 wont correct this. As well, the US cirruculum is confused abouit its goals and thus achieves none of them.
                          US schools are disorderly, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                            The United States has an anti-intellectualist culture and general apathy towards learning. Throwing money at schools and forcing children to "learn" 24/7 wont correct this. As well, the US cirruculum is confused abouit its goals and thus achieves none of them.
                            US schools are disorderly, as well.

Commie propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                              Probably has something to do with the teaching systems. I don't recall hearing that the European systems dumb down the class to the slowest student. It's hard to excel when the class plods along at the slowest rate of the slowest student, rather then at the average.

More money won't fix most of the troubled systems in the US. That's been examined. Reform the system, reform teachers (studies of US colleges found the college staff themselves felt their teaching of education wasn't worth the trouble of taking), dismiss tenior, make teachers take achievement/knowledge test when they start and ever 5 years thereafter. There's a ton of suggestions from various studies and think tanks on how to improve the American educational system. Everything but more money is opposed by teacher unions. Especially any form of testing. Seems teachers don't believe in testing (particularly standardized testing) as a means of proving you have a basic knowledge of a subject. Does anyone else from American schooling see the irony of that statement?

Stop blaming the damn teachers already!!!!

I would like everybody that blames teachers to walk a mile in their shoes and then see what it's really like!!!

Give them some incentive first and then we'll talk!

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Commie propaganda.
                                He's right though

Comment

Working...
                                X