Why are American kids so dumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    This is silly. Americans are among the most educated in the world. Certainly more educated than those in the vast majority of European countries.
    However educated they are, this doesn't empirically translate into cultured and bright people. BTW, the most educated people are those of the former communist block.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

And we're still a nation of single-digit IQs.
      Yeah.. Al Sharpton for one.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

we also spend more money per student then every european nation, yet we see less returns. we should scrap it all and move towards privatization.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I am going to say this once more tests dont measure the precise IQ of anyone. I back this with some kids just suck at tests, and Ill Throw in any person can be having a bad day and do poorly on the test that day but ace it on a good day.
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
            we also spend more money per student then every european nation, yet we see less returns. we should scrap it all and move towards privatization.
            our system is worse than EUrope, so let's move towards the exact opposite method of education that most of Europe uses... that makes sense!
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

in the US teacher is not a big imporant job... one which attracts the best

in Cyprus, for example, teacher is one of the best jobs, and it attracts the best in school

this is some of it, I am sure

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Europe doesn't have TV's?
                At least most of Europe has TVs which show a large enough amount of English-language programmes that the viewers learn a foreign language while they watch it if nothing else.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  our system is worse than EUrope, so let's move towards the exact opposite method of education that most of Europe uses... that makes sense!
                  Is our system really that much worse? I think American universities are far better then anything they have in Europe. I investigated various universities in Spain and Italy, and I disliked the method of teaching. It is more memorization based then applied based.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Teachers are not the most respected profession. But to label the american kids as dumb because of a test is not accurate. as for european tv ill say one word Benny hill. Not the sharpest tool in the shed there.
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Is our system really that much worse? I think American universities are far better then anything they have in Europe. I investigated various universities in Spain and Italy, and I disliked the method of teaching. It is more memorization based then applied based.
                      I'm talking about public schools K-12, not universities...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The school system really has broken down in major ways.

Ask ANY teacher if they would recommend teaching as a profession, and most of them will say no. They work long hours, get crap pay, and the kids have a host of social problems that didn't exist before.

The kids spend most of their day now learning how to take tests instead of learning how to think.

On top of that, there is an increasing emphasis on living a hedonistic lifestyle (the Paris Hilton way).
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

there is an increasing emphasis on living a hedonistic lifestyle
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Mrs Tuberski individually you're correct but as a whole you don't think Europeans can be bad test-takers or have bad days too?
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Yeah, that is funny coming from Ted.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Like when 9th grade girls are pretending to be lesbians in order to attract guys! Crazy!!!
                                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X