Why are American kids so dumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are American kids so dumb?

First of all, the statement in the title is true. There is no getting around it other than ignorant worship for the flag and country--Americans are dumb. Our kids consistently score lower on pretty much any test than those in Europe. It's just a "fact" in that you could probably find data to oppose it but it's so commonly accepted it would be like being a flat Earther. For the sake of this thread don't try to oppose it.

I'm not saying Americans are inherently dumber, there's nothing in our genes that lowers our IQ. But it's pretty obvious, we are not as smart as other nationalities in the developed world. Why?

I think it has to do with three major things. I might be wrong, but here they are:

(1) There are less American teachers per student than European teachers per student. Individual attention always produces better results. A classroom of 15 has more individual attention time than a classroom of 25.

(2) Education is not uniform across the United States. Unlike in Europe, where despite differences per country things are generally alike as long as you stay in the border, every state in the US has different educational standards, different minimums, requirements, certifications, tests, you name it. And the situation this makes is that the education system is totally different between some places, and how things are measured is ruined. For example, an all-A student in Arkansas may well be only a B or C student in Massachussetts. Even within the Natural State, individual school districts have different rules in place, and I can assure you an A student from one of these super-tiny high schools will do poorly at a large school.

(3) Europeans are exposed to more things than Americans. Education isn't just a simple formulaic equation. Culture and willingness to understand, accept things plays a part in it too. A European kid has much more access to cultural materials as well as different cultures than his own. There are no different cultures in the United States. People throw around the South, New England, California as having different cultures, but we really don't, and since desegregation even the Deep South has been tamed, you rarely hear proper Southern accents any more, or anything like that. Besides, differences across the US are not the kind that foster understanding--we all have the same manners, the same religion, the same history. Culture in the US consists of watching TV. Few children see the arts or grow up with people that are different from themselves.

So what can we do? Throw money at education, institute more federal regulations, fund the arts into areas where it would not normally be afforded, areas with children at-risk for failure, for example. It won't be easy but it won't be fixed if we put our fingers in our ears or blindly discount ideas from across the Atlantic.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

This is silly. Americans are among the most educated in the world. Certainly more educated than those in the vast majority of European countries.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I hope I am not being too cliche when I blame television. Daily television viewing numbs the mind and takes up time that would be better spent reading. Once in a vegetative state, it takes a certain degree of self-control to tear oneself away. Fortunately, computer games and the internet are slowly killing off the boob tube.

A culture of anti-intellectualism that in fact derides continuous excellence in school as "nerdy" is also a contributory factor. The level of that tends to wary from school to school and from region to region.

Oh, and IMHO I received an excellent elementary education in Latvia.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Re: Why are American kids so dumb?

1. Schools are underfunded.

2. Our popular culture makes liking school "uncool," kids who like school are osctracized from peers for being "nerds."

3. Our PC culture forces schools to have unintresting and uninspiring curricula out of fear of offending someone.

Comment

Also, does this take our high level of immigration into account? Its hard for the kids to score well on the tests when a significant number of them don't speak the language adequately. Also, as Odin points out, learning is not "cool" in our country.
          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
            Fortunately, computer games and the internet are slowly killing off the boob tube.

Yes, because playing counter-strike and spewing illegible crap in chat rooms is so much more stimulating.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I was going to complain about the idiocy of this topic, but then I realized that an American created this thread.

Comment

This is silly. Americans are among the most educated in the world. Certainly more educated than those in the vast majority of European countries.

Perhaps Albania, but none of the others. The closest is Britain, which has very poor education.

The Germans pwn you (and almost anyone really). As was illlustrated by US coverage of a German school shooting. The reporter assumed that it was a sports school because it was called a gymnasium.

retards.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Albania
                  another wretched land that should be nuked.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                    I hope I am not being too cliche when I blame television. Daily television viewing numbs the mind and takes up time that would be better spent reading. Once in a vegetative state, it takes a certain degree of self-control to tear oneself away. Fortunately, computer games and the internet are slowly killing off the boob tube.
                    Europe doesn't have TV's?

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                      Yes, because playing counter-strike and spewing illegible crap in chat rooms is so much more stimulating.
                      Actually yes.

Playing an FPS well - in fact, playing almost any game well - requires a fluidity of thought and critical thinking skills a cut above the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Actually yes.

Playing an FPS well - in fact, playing almost any game well - requires a fluidity of thought and critical thinking skills a cut above the rest.
                        ZOMFG PWNED by l337 skilzz
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I was going to complain about the idiocy of this topic, but then I realized that an American created this thread.
                          I know Americans. We are dumb. It is nothing to hide, just to work on.

Comment

Americans on average recieve more schooling then anyone else in the world.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Americans on average recieve more schooling then anyone else in the world.
                              And we're still a nation of single-digit IQs.

Comment

Working...
                              X