• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Superbowl to be held nowhere

N.F.L. Expected to Pick West Side Stadium for 2010 Super Bowl
    By DAVE ANDERSON

Published: March 15, 2005

NEW YORK, March 15 - The National Football League is expected to name the as-yet-unbuilt Jets stadium on the West Side of New York City as the site of the 2010 Super Bowl.

The decision would be contingent on construction by 2009 of the proposed $1.7 billion retractable-roof stadium that remains embroiled in political and financial controversy. "For our club owners, the idea of a Super Bowl in a domed stadium in New York is a no-brainer," said Joe Browne, the N.F.L.'s vice president of communications and public affairs.

The N.F.L. is expected to vote on the matter at its annual meeting next week in Maui, Hawaii; the New York site would require the support of at least 24 of the 32 club owners. The vote was moved up from June at the request of the Jets, who are lobbying hard to be the winning bid for the stadium site on Manhattan's West Side that is controlled by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Bids are due on Monday.

The Jets, Cablevision, Transgas and possibly a fourth developer are expected to enter bids for the rights to develop in the state-owned railroad yards between 30th and 33rd Streets from 11th Avenue to 12th Avenue.

Peter S. Kalikow, the authority's chairman, will file his own recommendation to the M.T.A. board by March 31.

Plans by the administration of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg to build a stadium that could be used by the Jets and the Olympics turned into a free-for-all last month when the M.T.A. decided to abandon its exclusive, yearlong negotiation with the Jets and hold an auction.

The Jets' original bid of $100 million has been exceeded by both Cablevision's $600 million and Transgas's $700 million, although those two bids contain conditions that make it difficult to compare directly to the Jets' bid or to what a restructured Jets bid might be. There remains a great deal of speculation in the real estate industry about who will bid, how much they will bid and whether the Jets will form a partnership with a developer that would enable them to raise their initial $100 million proposal.

The Jets are hoping that a promise to hold the Super Bowl in New York will bolster their chances.

Earlier this month, the N.F.L. shifted its annual draft of college players out of Madison Square Garden and into the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, partly because Cablevision, which owns the Garden, is opposed to the West Side stadium. The Javits Center is next to the site for the proposed stadium.

The N.F.L., which has awarded the next three Super Bowls to Detroit, Miami and the new Arizona Cardinals stadium near Phoenix, will vote in May on the four candidates for the 2009 Super Bowl: Miami, Tampa, Houston and Atlanta.

Maria Newman contributed reporting for this article.

Now why does the NFL thinking of doing something stupid like that?

Its sort of Amazing, millions being spent on adds for and against a studium in the world's most expensive media market. POlitically the stadium is a loser.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

interesting

retractable roof- they will need that for the superbowl.

Comment

I've seen some plans for it, it looks cool. Lots of renewable energy incorporated into the design. Windmills and solar panels and such.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Will it ever come to Chicago?

Probably not because the NFL is stupid and only wants either warm weather or domed stadiums.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Athletes dying of pneumonia
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

It's the fscking superbowl. The only thing it's good for is the advertisments, who gives a **** where it's played?
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              interesting

retractable roof- they will need that for the superbowl.
              Retractable roofs are a royal pain in the ass. They're full of ****.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

They're full of ****.

Actually, the roofs aren't full of it. The Stadiums are.

ZING!
                B♭3

Comment

Now why does the NFL thinking of doing something stupid like that?

What's stupid about what the NFL is doing? Pressuring NYC and Cablevision to build a stadium isn't stupid. If in two years the stadium is dead then they can pick a new site. The NFL maybe throwing away a little money but not a lot.

BTW moving the draft around and puting it up to the highest bidder is a good idea. If I lived in NYC, I would probably be against a new stadium. In the same way I was against The Linc and Citizens Bank Park here in Philly. They are nice stadiums though,
                  Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Maybe they can play a pick up game on some street in Harlem.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

As long as it doesn't come here (but living outside USA I don't think that'll be a problem)

I have hated superbowl ever since I was about 10 when I found out superbowl wasn't something about bowling
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I have hated superbowl ever since I was about 10 when I found out superbowl wasn't something about bowling

another thing to add to the list of things ADG hates.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                          As long as it doesn't come here (but living outside USA I don't think that'll be a problem)

Yeah, but we have the World Bowl though (Though these days they might as well rename it the German Bowl )
                          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                            I've seen some plans for it, it looks cool. Lots of renewable energy incorporated into the design. Windmills and solar panels and such.
                            Well, they got rid of all of that. Due to popular opposition, the Jets scaled down their design- the windmills and solar panels were the first things to go.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                            X