No announcement yet.

Opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, movies often have characters listen to classical music when they want to give them an instant vaneer of class and sophistication.

It often comes across as phony, however. I recently saw a scene on TV from one of the Star Trek next generation films where Picard is in his quarters, gazing out oh so ponderously on the heavens as he listens to heart-rending opera. The XO comes in and says, "Bizet?" and Picard shakes his head oh so knowingly: "Berlioz!"

A completely unneccessary and pompous moment.
    Reminds me of a scene in Schindler's list where a german soldier plays some Bach (irc) on the piano in the middle of a raid.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

James Horner is a horrible hack, however, and his scores are unredeemably, garishly awful.
      I duuno. I sort of liked the scores to "Legends of the Fall", "Searching for Bobby Fischer", and "A Beautiful Mind".

Actually, Phillip Glass has dones considerably good work in film, especially his recent soundtrack for "Fog of War." It's exquisite, and "Kundun" is pretty good, too.
      Wasn't his first symphony "Einstein on the Beach"? It was pretty awful as I recall.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Einstein on the Beach is an opera, not a symphony. I've never listened to it.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
        X