God damnit, credit card fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God damnit, credit card fraud

How many of you have gone through this? Just a few days ago I recieved notification that I was being charged 600 dollars from a company called neteller. They do online transaction things like paypal.

I had set up an account with them early september last year, for the dubious goal of online gambling. Well, i depositied some money in the account and put it into my pokerroom.com account a few days ago. After playing for a while I left to go to get some food, look for a job, etc etc. You know, errands.

So then I came back logged on to the neteller website to find 600 dollars in charges outstanding. I called them immedietly to report what happened and they told me it was my fault for not protecting my computer or password more and they were still going to hold me liable. So now i have to contact my bank.

This sucks. Im going to have to sell a bunch of stuff now i guess. Hurrah! I guess Im just pissed that they blamed me for not protecting it more and that my only recourse was taking police action and suing in small claims court. I live in a house with a bunch of guys and it could have been any of them, and I dont have the time to deal with going to court, alienating my new roommates, etc etc.

I guess this means more shoots.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Bummer But this just goes to prove you can´t be too careful with these kind of things...
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I guess this means more shoots.

This is wrong, I shouldn't be laughting....

Seriously, This sucks ass, and that's why I am paranoid as hell wrt creditcards online.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

It doesn't matter if neteller thinks you're liable. Just write your credit card company explaining why you aren't liable and aren't going to pay the charge.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Doh!
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I did that today danS. BTW does it matter if its a bank or credit card company or are the systems basically the same?
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The systems are the same, and you cannot legally be held liable for the charges (you may have to pay a maximum of $50). The reason the merchant is fighting you is because they are the ones who will be holding the bag.

You do have one possible problem, and that is it occured on your computer at your home. It's going to be very difficult for you to prove you didn't do it. You need to find out which roommate did it and also to call the police. You should also strongly consider finding another place to live considering one of your roommates just stole $600 from you. I'd be more pissed at your roommates than the company.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Surely you can just deny the charge, and then wait to see what happens.

Asmodean
                Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

What will happen is the company will remove the charge from cosideration on his bill whill they investigate. If they decide in his favor, it comes off. If they decide against him, it will be considered as if it has been there all along as far as interest goes.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Never use Credit cards for gambling,as most companys won't let you transfer money to known sites.

Best bet is set up a seperate bank account strictly for gambling .Also set up an offshore account to launder the winnings.Winnings are tracked when you transfer the money back into your local account.

I have an account in Mexico and Canada for this reason.I've made three trips to El Paso just to collect winnings so the IRS cannot tax my winnings.

never,never put over $4500 back into your back account from a gambling site.Its red flagged by a IRS carnivore on most off-shore gambling sites.

My local gambling bank account has never recieved money ,only sent.That way you can use it to show gambling loss'es never winnings.
                    Next to battle lost,misery is a battle gained.
                    --Duke of Wellington(after Waterloo)

Comment

Originally posted by Brtndr4u
                      My local gambling bank account has never recieved money ,only sent.That way you can use it to show gambling loss'es never winnings.
                      You can't declare losses unless you declare winnings, and can only declare as many losses as winnings.

Also, you're a tax cheat and a criminal.

Comment

Wait a minute . . . MRT144, didn't you have like a massive gambling debt last year and you swore off internet gambling?

Comment

You got that right

the criminal part anyway.

quite violent too.

wanna play?
                          Next to battle lost,misery is a battle gained.
                          --Duke of Wellington(after Waterloo)

Comment

MRT is leaving out a lot of the details to the story.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

MRT144,

Is this on a public (shared) computer in your house?

It might be possible that one of your roomates thought it was just some free computer card game and starting playing while having no idea real money was at stake. You might want to ask around to your roomates if they happened to notice the game on the computer and then tell them you just lost $600. If it is their fault, maybe they'll pay the charge for you. I know I would if I did that.

You never know.

Comment

Working...
                              X