Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin City: This movie looks sweet!

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

The cast includes: Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Elijah Wood, Josh hartnett, Mickey Rourke, Alexis Bledel, Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Benicio Del Toro, and Michael Clarke Duncan. I'm not entirely sure what to make of the "quest director: Quentin Tarantino" bit but most of the stuff he's been associated with has been pretty good.
    When the stars threw down their spears,
    and water'd heaven with their tears,
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I agree.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

As long as this isn´t another Rodriguez/Tarantino crap fest like "From Dusk to Dawn" I´ll be happy. It´ll be Frank Millers first directing job also, hope he can handle it.
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Quentin Tarantino usually delivers in whatever he touches, and when he delivers, he delivers it, BIG TIME.

Bruce Willis is like a force multiplier. Casting Bruce Willis is like having Michael Schumacher on your F1 team. Even he can lose, but in the long run, he's the most kick ass guy you can have. Here is to Bruce Willis, a bald guy who made it big

Generally, a sweet lineup of casting, no doubt, 'cept Jessica Alba ( I don't like her, for some reason, but I like her in the trailer so it's a toss up ).

I will be looking forward to this.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the comics, but if Tarantino is directing, it should be entertaining. While I liked Frank Miller's Dark Knight work, mostly his work is a subtle (or not so subtle) homage to fascism.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yah, that trailer's been around for awhile. Looks great, though I'd never even heard of the comic it's allegedly based on.

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            I'm not a big fan of the comics, but if Tarantino is directing, it should be entertaining. While I liked Frank Miller's Dark Knight work, mostly his work is a subtle (or not so subtle) homage to fascism.
            Um. Never read Mr. Miller, but a quick Google of "Frank Miller fascism" apparently yields links to people thinking Miller is anti-fascist as well- his superheroes fight the evil government, corporations, and so on in anarchist style. Are you certain he wasn't showing you fascism to discredit it, a la some war movies are really anti-war movies in disguise? Beats me if any of this has validity having not actually read him, but...

There is something inherently libertarian about most comic-book superheroes. They are vigilantes. They wouldn't have to do what they do if the government were at all successful in protecting the innocent from the bad guys. And more than a few of them are wealthy entrepreneurs. You have to be a billionaire industrialist like Tony Stark if you are going to create the high-tech arsenal necessary to be Iron Man. And it takes the wealth of Bruce Wayne to keep the Batcave properly equipped. But some of them are more explicitly libertarian. Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man, dreamed up the first … Continue reading →

Harry here Unfortunately I'm at that fricked up period where I can't buy myself anything on account of my birthday and Christmas. ARGH! But I'm dying to get my paws on this puppy. I mean dying to get my hands on it. Maybe I should buy it...

Edit: Having asked a friend who actually did read The Dark Knight Returns, it seems that Batman, by imposing his will on others through violence, is also something of a fascist. So a fascist fighting the fascists in a big fascist stew, maybe.
            Last edited by SnowFire; March 13, 2005, 00:58.
            All syllogisms have three parts.
            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

This should be good
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
                Um. Never read Mr. Miller, but a quick Google of "Frank Miller fascism" apparently yields links to people thinking Miller is anti-fascist as well- his superheroes fight the evil government, corporations, and so on in anarchist style.
                Fascists are quite big about complaining about corruption (though they governments were even more corrupt than the ones that they replaced). Governments are corrupt and unable to protect people from predatory corporations. The people are weak and need a superman to defend them from the capitalists and politicians.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think I remember the comics from when I used to read them. The camerawork/colouring/directing certainly seems to strike a chord in my memory. I think I remember seeing another trailer around somewhere...a short clip about 'the rat' or something. I love original looking directing so Im looking forward to seing how this works out!
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                  X