Vodka's in danger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vodka's in danger!

An alliance of wine-producents including France and Italy wishes to force new EU definition of vodka, enabling production of "vodka" from grapes or anything else, as long as it is destilated.
    The vodka coalition, including Poland, Sweden, Finland and Estonia wish to keep the name of vodka for traditional grain and potatoes product only

France!
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Grape vodka? No no no no no. Stick to wine.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Doesn't bother me since I'm a rum and coke man

Still
      If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

Re: Vodka's in danger!

Originally posted by Heresson

The vodka coalition, including Poland, Sweden, Finland and Estonia
        Vodka coalition, my ass.
        Finns and Swedes do produce vodka, but what makes you think your or Estonian piss deserves to be called vodka?

wish to keep the name of vodka for traditional grain and potatoes product only
        Potatoe Vodka.
        Made in Poland.
        Oh my,
        Last edited by Serb; March 12, 2005, 19:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
          Grape vodka? No no no no no. Stick to wine.
          The French are already selling distilled wine as vodka. I had some last month and it did taste the same as normal vodka but I believe that has to do with it being triple distilled so all the flavor was gone. I'm a firm believer that spirits should never be more then double distilled or else they lose their natural flavors and you are left with just alcohol and water.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: Re: Vodka's in danger!

Originally posted by Serb
            Vodka coalition, my ass.
            Finns and Swedes do produce vodka, but what makes you think your or Estonian piss deserve to be called vodka?

Potatoe Vodka.
            Made in Poland.
            Oh my,
            Traditionally grain (any grain the peasants had on hand) was used to make vodka but after the 17th century potatos became a very important crop in eastern Europe so potatos became the most common base for the vodka mash. BTW Serb most historians agree that Poles and/or Ukrainians were the first to make vodka though it spread quickly since everyone likes to get drunk.

It was a Russian Tsar who codified vodka production thus improving uniformity and quality.

Comment

Vodka can be made from potatoes?

Rum and Coke
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with this, but I think that using grapes to make vodka is simply a shame.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                  Vodka can be made from potatoes?
                  No.

Comment

A fine American made potato vodka.

Polish potato vodka.

Russian potato vodka.

Before potatoes were brought over from the new world everyone used grain (mostly wheat, rye, or barley) and after potatoes were introduced the common peasants began making vodka with potatoes while the rich stuck with the more expensive grain based vodka. I personally like the grain based since it tends to have more flavors and is often less harsh then the potato made stuff but the reality is high quality potato vodkas can be just as smooth as high quality grain based vodkas.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Vodka's in danger!

Originally posted by Oerdin

Traditionally grain (any grain the peasants had on hand) was used to make vodka but after the 17th century potatos became a very important crop in eastern Europe so potatos became the most common base for the vodka mash.
                      Potatos became the base for the piss. If Poles sell to you such kind of piss as vodka. Fine, I guess, you should cooperate even more and buy some Polish Levis or Polish Marlboro.
                      Real vodka is made by Russians from the finest Russian grain. The piss made from potatoe or the same sh!t we call "samogon" (home made crap).
                      BTW Serb most historians agree that Poles and/or Ukrainians were the first to make vodka though it spread quickly since everyone likes to get drunk.
                      Blah...blah...blah... Despite it's wrong of course and first such refineries were build in Russia (like Ukraine and Russia were separate countries back then), why don't you dig deeper and claim that it were Arabs who invented Vodka.
                      It was a Russian Tsar who codified vodka production thus improving uniformity and quality.
                      Nope. It was the great Russian chemist Dmitry Mendeleev who established a modern standard of 40% alc/vol for a Vodka. Before him vodka in modern sence of this word didn't exist.

Comment

What Serb says is true. This is comparable to other things too, some other people might have done sauna bathing before but the tradition and history belongs in here. Same for Vodka, you say Vodka and you are supposed to say Russia, even though they make some good ones outside Russia too, but it's their domain, period.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

"first such refineries were build in Russia"

The Russians of that time could build things like that?

I thought they lived in felt yurts and followed the migrating deer...
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Either Christian Arabs or Armenians invented the distilling process and the art of distilling spread out from the middle east. First by ship throught the med sea and the black sea then by land. It makes sense that it hit the Ukraine before it made it to Russia.

Yes, Dmitry Medfeleev created the 40 degree process but vodka & distilling was introduced to Russia about 1400 and by 1500 the Tsarist government had set up an Imperial monoploy on its production and commercial sale for which there were only a handful of licienced manufacturers. The Tsarist government set strict standards for quality control purposes so as to keep prices high (and thus government tax revenue high).

Last edited by Dinner; March 12, 2005, 18:18.

Comment

Thank you very much for your links.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              A fine American made potato vodka.
                              Ok, let's follow your link. What can find there?
                              WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT VODKA

There is a common misconception that most, if not all, vodkas are made from potatoes. In fact, 99% of vodkas in the world are distilled from grain - corn, wheat, or rye - using the least costly grain available.

Any questions?

Russian potato vodka.
                              Checked all five different vodkas there and all of them quote:
                              Distilled From: Grain
                              Polish potato vodka.
                              Now about Poles:
                              Luxury vodka of quality rectified grain spirits; one of the best unflavored Polish vodkas on the market and the distillery's top product. The US market version of Chopin is potato spirit based.

So, as you can see, for themselves they produce vodka from grain while to US they send vodka from potatos. As I've said above, you should order some Polish polyethilene Levis or something as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X