Media Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Computers

I'm considering buying a media center type system to upgrade my media / entertainment capabilities. Right now I'm stuck with an old 19" television, over the air only tv programming, a cheap DVD player and a fairly inexpensive 5.1 sound system.

I'd like to upgrade to a combo monitor / HD capable TV, cable internet to a wireless router, at least minimal cable television service. I'd like my new computer to hold my fairly extensive music collection and to have CD / DVD burners, a TV tuner. I'd like at least a 20" monitor, and preferably a bit bigger, which is capable of displaying DVDs and HDTV to their potential.

Basically I'd like everything to run through and be controlled by my computer with me kicking back and calling the shots with remotes / a wireless keyboard / mouse. I'm satisfied for now with my sound system.

My question to the tech heads in the Apolyton community (or others who have experience with these sorts of systems) is how realistic is it to acquire such a system for less than $4000?

If so, what sort of equipment do you recommend?
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Asher, help me out here.

Comment

You could build a system for less than $4000 to do that.

As for specific recommendations, no idea. I've got a "media PC" made out of my own computer, I use an ATI TV Wonder PCI card with BeyondTV as my PVR software.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        You could build a system for less than $4000 to do that.

As for specific recommendations, no idea. I've got a "media PC" made out of my own computer, I use an ATI TV Wonder PCI card with BeyondTV as my PVR software.
        What's PVR?

Comment

Personal Video Recorder...

Think TiVo for your PC.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ahh, that was definitely one of the features I was hoping to make use of. Thanks. Any suggestions for monitors? I'm looking at wide LCD monitors right now, like the Dell 2005FPW. Are these sorts of monitors good enough for DVDs / HDTV quality signals?

Comment

Working...
            X