Laissez le bon temps roules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laissez le bon temps roules

Last month, for example, there was a lot of chatter about the so-called wageless recovery. Now that the critics can no longer get traction by discussing offshoring or the jobless recovery -- the economy added 2.3 million new positions last year -- they're trying this new tack. I traced the origin of this canard back to a press release from the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal think tank in Washington, D.C., that says that wage growth in 2004 was an anemic 2.1 percent, "the lowest in the history of this wage series, which began in 1964."

The funny thing is, the EPI got the number wrong: It's actually 2.6 percent. But the validity of the entire report is in doubt because the EPI was looking at the wrong data set. The more relevant number, the median weekly earnings of all full-time workers, puts the pay increase at 2.9 percent last year -- the best in three years.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Two notes on this:

(1) The real compensation increases are pretty small. The CPI went up substantially last year as well, wiping out most of the gains that you cite.

(2) Even though #1 is true, it was because lack of worker pricing power. As the jobs grow over time, pricing power for workers should return.

I think overall, we're doing pretty well for this point in the business cycle. We're just now entering the expansion phase.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Its good to see some positive economic news from the US. Hopefully a nice little boom in the US will help Canada continue along very very well
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Btw, if you earn $86k in Gainesville, I'll bet you're living like a king, unless you've got a huge coke habit, etc.
        Last edited by DanS; March 10, 2005, 12:48.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          Btw, if you earn $86k in Gainesville, I'll bet you're living like a king, unless you've got a huge coke habit, etc.
          Where did that ome from? And yes, you would, though you wouldn't have anything to do.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

From the article.

Comment

25 year old pharmacist - fresh out of pharmacy school.

He started at $76K and got a $10K raise after 2 weeks on the job.
              Last edited by pchang; March 10, 2005, 13:21.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

My old French teacher almost went into a flaming rage when people wrote "le bon temps" or "les bon temps".

Comment

It's a Cajun thing.

Comment

Pharmacist != common worker

Meanwhile the minimum wage hasn't been increased in over 8 years.

Wait, that's really only like 3 or 4 people!

ZOMFG every small business is going to go under if we raise it!

Nice troll though pchang.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The good news is that pricing power for workers usualy returns on the high end first then works its way down the pay ladder. At least the process has started.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The bottom of the ladder never really gets any improvement. The only improvements come where there are shortages at skilled positions. That's why we saw the temporary improvements during the 90s.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Also compare the salary increases to the costs in medical insurance, drugs, and schools. Oh, but that's different the conservatives whine. The middle class, you know, those weird people who want to send their children to college and try to carry medical insurance.
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                          X