Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Qaeda May Have Targeted Oscar-Winner Crowe

Al Qaeda May Have Targeted Oscar-Winner Crowe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe said he may have been a target of an al Qaeda kidnap plot in early 2001, part of a bid by the militant network to "culturally destabilize" the United States.

The Australia-based Crowe told GQ magazine in an interview that he received FBI protection throughout the filming of "A Beautiful Mind" and for part of "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World." He also was flanked by undercover agents at the Golden Globe awards ceremony in 2001.

When asked who might have been targeting him, Crowe replied: "Um ... well, that was the first conversation in my life that I'd heard the phrase al Qaeda."

New Zealand-born Crowe, who won the Best Actor Academy Award in 2001 for "Gladiator," said he was told a French policewoman in Libya or Algeria had picked up the threat in a recording.

"I don't think that I was the only person (targeted). But it was about -- and here's another little touch of irony -- it was about taking iconographic Americans out of the picture as a sort of cultural-destabilization plan," he said.

Crowe said that at some point the FBI "thought the threat had probably or had possibly been overstated, and then they started to question their sources ... ."

Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network carried out the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked airliner attacks on the United States.
    Last edited by MarkG; March 9, 2005, 04:09.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

OOHHHH NOES111!!!1!!!1!1 PLEASE DON'T HURT THE SINGING BAR-BRAWLING AUSSIE ACTOR!!1!1!!1
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

HE IS TEH GLADIOATOR
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Maybe Osama just wanted to blow him away for bad acting.

Comment

Al Qaeda showing occasional bouts of good taste- that is, if they meant stopping us seeing another 'Proof of Life' and preventing another Russell Crowe 'music' album or poetry reading.

While they're at it, perhaps they could target Adam Sandler, several boy & girl bands, Pap Idol, charity records, 'novels' by supermodels, ex-athletes, tennis stars, films by ex-wrestlers....
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Al Qaeda showing occasional bouts of good taste- that is, if they meant stopping us seeing another 'Proof of Life' and preventing another Russell Crowe 'music' album or poetry reading.

While they're at it, perhaps they could target Adam Sandler, several boy & girl bands, Pap Idol, charity records, 'novels' by supermodels, ex-athletes, tennis stars, films by ex-wrestlers....

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Yes, bumping some of those off would reverse our opinion of them
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

New Zealanders and Aussies are really Americans in disguise. Osama told me so.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    New Zealanders and Aussies are really Americans in disguise. Osama told me so.
                    Mel Gibson is. You can have him back for sure.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Mel Gibson is. You can have him back for sure.
                      We will accept him only if you throw Dame Edna into the offer.
                      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

"Culturally Destablize" We don't have any culture TO distablize, unless you call Starbucks culture...

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye

We will accept him only if you throw Dame Edna into the offer.
                          Not for all the Nivea Cremes in Shanghai.

Comment

don't be dissing Russell or Mel.

They gave us such great movies as Gladiator and Road Warrior. I just might committ suicide if they were kidnapped or harmed.

Comment

Ridley Scott gave us Gladiator and George Miller gave us Road Warrior.

Gladiator made Russell Crowe and Road Warrior made Mel Gibson.

I can't stand either of them.
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                              X