Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took the plunge, Asher--this better be worth it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
    Again I ask if anyone (named Asher) knows the answer.
    I've no idea.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      I'd rate both players at just about equal

Sounds about right.
      Depends what you're looking for.

I buy players for value, audio quality, and battery life, so a choice would be a no-brainer.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

$15 a month you get unlimited access to as many songs as you want unlike Ipod where you have to pay $1 a song to burn them to your portable player!

What you forget is that you are actually renting the songs from Napster. If you decide to cancel your membership, all those songs go bye bye.

Well.. I can say.. AT LEAST I DON'T SHOP AT MACY'S.

It'd probably do you good to shop at Macy's. It's a good store, good value... and a damned fine Christmas Day Parade.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So the lesson of this thread is? Buy creative and sleep with men!
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I'm honestly surprised people under 65 still shop at department stores.

Comment

How did this get to be a discussion of clothes?

Fags.

ANYHOO, Asher is quite right (don't get used to me saying that) wrt the Creative being a no-brainer over the Ipod for people who care about anything other than being trendy. Especially since the 40 gb Ipod seems to sell for about $100 more than what I paid.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Once you get it, you should make sure it has the latest firmware (1.01.03).

Comment

SNR has very little to do with heard audio quality. In fact almost nothing. Anyone who says different just doesn't know what they are talking about. Fidelity is always established subjectively by every worthwhile reviewer.

The ipods I've heard have excellent sound quality once you get rid of the supplied headphones (which aren't that bad), but it all depends on what codec and bitrate you use.

I'd point out that Stereophile gave the ipod thumbs up, and I can't imagine a more demanding reviewer.

But let's be realistic, none of these players is a high end audio device - they're all glorified Walkmans.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Danke, Asher.

Oh, and Dept. stores serve their purpose. In NYC I worked a block from Macy's and would pop over on my lunch break from time to time. Overall, it had much better prices on good brands than boutique stores. I pretty much bought all my office clothes (dress shirts, slacks) there.
                    Last edited by Boris Godunov; March 9, 2005, 12:28.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      SNR has very little to do with heard audio quality.

How is SNR measured and what does it mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        SNR has very little to do with heard audio quality. In fact almost nothing. Anyone who says different just doesn't know what they are talking about. Fidelity is always established subjectively by every worthwhile reviewer.
                        That's like saying... well.. horsepower is irrelevant to an engine.. sheesh. And the measure isn't subjective. You are in deep denial over things.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          It'd probably do you good to shop at Macy's. It's a good store, good value... and a damned fine Christmas Day Parade.
                          Unlike you, I actually have fashion sense.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

How is SNR measured and what does it mean?

We've had this argument before, so look up the old thread.

Audio reproduction is as much of an art as a science (this from my friend who is a professional audiologist as well as an audiophile). You can put together components with exceptionally good numbers, which will sound terrible.

People's expectations of what counts as "good sound" are also variable. Many people actually like thumping, booming bass sounds, even though that is most definitely not high fidelity reproduction. Most people that write for tech mags (where these things are reviewed) are either not audiophiles, or prefer rock or pop music. That makes them poor reviewers for someone like me.

Some people think that their $200 boom box sounds better than a Quad system with the latest ESLs.

But the only way to really test audio equipment is to compare the sound yourself by doing listening tests. If you really care about the sound you get, you will do that, and it will ensure that you get something you like.

And that in the end, is the only thing that anyone can really say.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm going to wave my hands like so

/me waves hands

and dismiss your argument.

I will agree that whether it sounds good is subjective, but digital audio clarity is anything but subjective. It is something that can be measured and objectively analyzed.

Comment

I will agree that whether it sounds good is subjective, but digital audio clarity is anything but subjective. It is something that can be measured and objectively analyzed.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. You can tell someone until you are blue in the face that X sound is closer to the sound of a real acoustic guitar than Y sound. But it ain't - as anyone who listened could tell you.

Objectivity is hopeless in judging audio equipment. In fact it is irrelevant, since music is art, not science.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X