No announcement yet.

LA: We are bad voters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the results are coming in and boy is that ****. ****ing Antonio Villaraigosa is gonna win..

I'm sorry I'm just mad. We are kicking out one corrupt leader and bringing yet another in.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The place is very walk able and many people do walk rather then drive to the coffee shop, the country store, or one of the restaurants down the block. These places exist you just have to look for them.
      i too live a mile from the navy and it seems they always use exam week to hold their big night excercies.
      im trying to study abroad next year, but if i dont, ill end up living somewhere off of Governor/genessee, if you know where that is. SC might be a nice place to live, but theres no way i can afford to live there. and face it, those neighborhoods/houses off of governor arnt exactly inspiring. i'd rather live in a skyrise/multistory apartment in a city and be able to walk everywhere then in a treeless - peopless suburb with nothing to do, and where everyone drives 30 - 40 minutes to go do stuff.
      living in the 5-805-52 triangle is cheap, but somewhat depressing.

pb is much of the same, but with more clubs and i wouldnt be able to concentrate on studies if i lived there. clairemont/mira mesa are all kinda far away.
      Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; March 9, 2005, 04:18.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I'm living in Scrippes Ranch which is kind of between Mira Mesa and Poway. Yeah, the Genesee & Govornor area is an old 50's development which reflects the post war "just throw it up as quick as we can" mentality. If you want a walkable neighborhood with trees then try North Park or even the East Village. They've realy did a nice job redeveloping that area plus it isn't far from the gaslamp or the trolley lines. My ideal place would have to be Little Italy though since it is right on the beach, near the trolley, has two large parks, lots of restaurants/bars, is very walkable, but a bit more grown up then PB.

Failing that old town would be another good choice for a walkable neighborhood with plenty to do and several leafy parks. I've seen three bedrooms houses offered for $1400 in old town and 2 bedrom apartments in Little Itally going for about the same. Not bad if you have a room mate.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
          too many highways, too many suburbs, too much growth, too many malls.
          This pretty much describes every single city in America with the exception of:

New York
          Washington
          Chicago
          San Francisco

And even those places all have sprawling suburbs.

American cities in general BLOW. They aren't cities anymore unless you are lucky enough to both live and work in the downtown area.

Suburbs

Ted Striker
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Suburbs

Ted Striker
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Multi-story appartment building suburbs, with public transport access, theatres, libraries, etc

American sprawling urban nightmare of semi-repetitive private homes, SUVs, and malls
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

American sprawling urban nightmare of semi-repetitive private homes, SUVs, and malls

Suburbia is the place to be!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

New York has huge suburbs- heck, at least 3 counties in NY, one in Connecticut, and most of northern NJ are part of the NY metorpolitan area. The first suburb was Levittown, NY, a suburb of..NYC. The thing is, this area is small, so there is no more room to sprawl.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Build UP.

Hell, most of Queens is pretty flat.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yet, its flat, and yet already much more densely populated than most places in the US. Having worked for a politician in the City, I casn tell you that significant building in Queens to increase density si NOT going to happen- politically impossible.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Suburbs:
                          small towns:
                          Restoration of the inner cities and reversal of White Flight:

Comment

This pretty much describes every single city in America with the exception of:

New York
                            Washington
                            Chicago
                            San Francisco
                            yep, but at least in SF and NY (manhatten) when you are in the city, you know what you are in the city (not sure about those other places.) sure there are lots of burbs around it, but theres no doubt whats the difference between suburbs and the cities.

Multi-story appartment building suburbs, with public transport access, theatres, libraries, etc
                            see that never happens in most cities in america that arnt on islands/peninsulas because its cheaper to build new, single story buildines than destroy the old and build up skyrises.

I'm living in Scrippes Ranch which is kind of between Mira Mesa and Poway. Yeah, the Genesee & Govornor area is an old 50's development which reflects the post war "just throw it up as quick as we can" mentality. If you want a walkable neighborhood with trees then try North Park or even the East Village. They've realy did a nice job redeveloping that area plus it isn't far from the gaslamp or the trolley lines. My ideal place would have to be Little Italy though since it is right on the beach, near the trolley, has two large parks, lots of restaurants/bars, is very walkable, but a bit more grown up then PB.
                            what sort of prices are we looking at in north park/ east village for 2 - 4 bedroom?
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Yet, its flat, and yet already much more densely populated than most places in the US. Having worked for a politician in the City, I casn tell you that significant building in Queens to increase density si NOT going to happen- politically impossible.

Let it crawl. First, some higher zoning around transportation arteries... and then crawl from there to the outside, and inside the city.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Oh, and:

MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL PWNS ALL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X