Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's why some of us haven't done it.

Pain sucks .

although there are painless ways, but most aren't foolproof, and even though they are painless, doesn't mean they are fearless.

that's why suicide by cop is popular. You don't have to do the actual act yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      But as these videos show people like to committ suicide in a very public fashion.
      Which is why I continue to believe attempts at suicide, for many if not most people, are a cry for attention and/or help. If all you want to do is kill yourself then why make a spectical about it? No, they want people around to see them.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well I have said this before suicide is the cowards way out. Its way to much work to stick around then to just off yourself.
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I used the depression drug du jour for 10 years and it never helped me. It only desensitized me to my problems it did not help me confront my problems. I only began to get my act together once I stopped taking depression drugs, ate a more healthy diet, started lifting weights and running, and started reading Sartre and began to accept full responsibility for myself, my past, my present, and my future.

Comment

I don't see what's wrong with people taking what you consider the coward's way out.

In my opinion, however, for some people the simple fact that the world might indeed be better off without them is a shocking and devastating conclusion; to step forth and do what is right in that case, i.e., changing states from life to death, is a stand for bravery.

Especially since most of the 6 billion people in the world do not contribute to the greater good, but rather suck up oxygen and other resources and produce mounds and mounds of waste.
            B♭3

Comment

Moving to Florida has helped my depression. The sunshine is really wonderful (I write as I sit here in a dark and shrouded room).
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I've never had depression.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

i have, ive attempted suicide and well, glad i didnt. even though my life keeps getting worse (indentity theft anyone?) i push on. it could be worse, you could be a vegetable in a nursing home
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I've attempted it before. I failed.

At this point, the jury's still out on whether that's a good thing. However, I'm currently of the mindset that the cost expenditure of being a good citizen and offing myself in a manner that has the least collateral damage is far to great for the purpose of switching (perhaps to a better) state.
                    B♭3

Comment

I never attempted, I had trouble even pointing a loaded gun at my head.

what can I say. I'm a scaredy-pants.

It's easier to live than to die.
                      Last edited by Dis; March 10, 2005, 17:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Which is why I continue to believe attempts at suicide, for many if not most people, are a cry for attention and/or help. If all you want to do is kill yourself then why make a spectical about it? No, they want people around to see them.
                        In the cas of suicide by cop, I dont think that they are interested in making a spectacle as much as they are just unable to bring themselves to take the final plunge. The ultimate abdication of responsibility to oneself - to trick someone else into killing you.

As I mentioned before, I was once depressed. I never got to the point of suicide, but I had fantasies about it where I did just this sort of thing - mine was walking into a bank lobby with an unloaded gun and just waiting for the cops to notice me. When they did I would just point the gun at them and they would shoot me.

I am so different now from the person that had those fantasies that it feels like I am talking about someone else... Cant believe that was me...

Comment

I dont see how any one including the sucide attempters life can be usless. the gift of life in itself makes you worthy.
                          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

The gift of life makes you guilty, as well.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              They help some people, but not others. It depends on if it's a chemical balance problem or if it's a situational problem IMO.
                              thats a common misunderstanding. IIUC, there are depressions with no kown situational trigger that dont respond to meds and ones with obvious situational triggers that do. And there are ones with no situational factors that still respond well to therapy. Basically "situational" depression isnt a psychiatric category. All depressions as far as we know are expressed chemically in the brain, and most are impacted by situational factors. Some folks like to make this distinction cause it makes them feel better about using meds, as if there was something wrong about using meds for a depression thats heavily triggered by the situation. There isnt.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
                                I used the depression drug du jour for 10 years and it never helped me. It only desensitized me to my problems it did not help me confront my problems. I only began to get my act together once I stopped taking depression drugs, ate a more healthy diet, started lifting weights and running, and started reading Sartre and began to accept full responsibility for myself, my past, my present, and my future.

Diet and exercise are excellent (and maybe even philosophy ) - of course some people need the meds to get the point where they CAN focus on diet and exercise.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X