• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
      The Civil War was started based upon State's Rights
      The state's right to defend slavery, specifically.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Sava,

So you hold in highest regard a president that goes to war for a stated cause only to switch rationale for the war in mid stream for political expediency.

Friggin repugs they're all teh same.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
          Benefits loading = another 33%
          People who make minimium wage never, ever, ever get benifits. Also your example ignores competitive pressures which prevent price rises. Your theory is nice but past history both in the US and abroad shows that you are WAY over stating inflationary pressures. The observed pressures are only a tiny fraction of what you claim because the market is competitive and a proportionally few number of workers are paid minimium wage.

Can you at least admite that observed historical examples of minimium wage increases have not followed your theory? California, New Jersey, New York and numerous other states have raised their minimium wage (with in reason) without the massive negitive effects you cliamed plus several Europeans have commented upon how reasonable minimium wage laws also have not historically produced the results you claim.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

highest regard
            I only gave him one thumbs up.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              Actually the the straw that broke the camel's back was the federal government's right to set tarrifs. The industrialized North wanted high tarrifs while the agrarian south wanted low tarrifs so their cotton & tabacco wouldn't be subject to European retaliation.

Comment

Sava,

So you hold in highest regard a president that goes to war for a stated cause only to switch rationale for the war in mid stream for political expediency.

Friggin repugs they're all teh same.
                I don't see it as simple poltics but instead I see it as a deeply moral man attempting to find moral justification for the carnage. He decides it isn't just to save the union but instead it is to save the union and make it a morally better place.

Comment

People who make minimium wage never, ever, ever get benifits. Also your example ignores competitive pressures which prevent price rises. Your theory is nice but past history both in the US and abroad shows that you are WAY over stating inflationary pressures. The observed pressures are only a tiny fraction of what you claim because the market is competitive and a proportionally few number of workers are paid minimium wage.

Can you at least admite that observed historical examples of minimium wage increases have not followed your theory? California, New Jersey, New York and numerous other states have raised their minimium wage (with in reason) without the massive negitive effects you cliamed plus several Europeans have commented upon how reasonable minimium wage laws also have not historically produced the results you claim.
                  Actually for McD's and Walmart you'ld be hard pressed not to find bennies included at all entry level full time positions. Including health dental and 401k's. Also realize there are mandated employer contributions for unemployment and the like regardless.

As for inflationary forces towards variable costs you'll note I didn't even figure those in. I kept those constant at $0.50/$1.00

As for examples of Cali, NJ, NY with increased minimum wage I am by no means convinced as they have historically been hemoraging jobs of late (now granted the tech bubble had a significant impact in Cali) but I'm sure labor costs enviro costs, regulational costs are as much responsible for that as any single factor.
                  Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; March 9, 2005, 19:22.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I don't see it as simple poltics but instead I see it as a deeply moral man attempting to find moral justification for the carnage. He decides it isn't just to save the union but instead it is to save the union and make it a morally better place.
                    Actually it was a cold calculated means to prevent England and France from ever deciding to intervene. Political expedience plain and simple. It just convenient it also fit into his developing world view.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel

Wow, you really ought to lay off of the caffiene.

Ooooh, sweet. Avoided my point.
                      You had a point?

Comment

If you're an advocate of Naziism, you ought at least not be a member of a group that Nazis plan on exterminating. To advocate an ideology that will result in your extintion is idiocy, regardless of any otherwise intelligent qualities you might have.
                        Who says that just because of my blood, I am meant for extinction? Is that what you are trying to say? LOL! Was that an appology or just more rhetoric?

Comment

• There I was thinking that the Civil War war fought in the main part to defeat slavery.
                          Do you and others really think that ridiculous statements like this help your argument? There's more drama on here than Real World.

Comment

• Ogie: I'm sure it had some thing to do with that but the reality is the British weren't about to intervene in a bloody land war where millions of people were dieing. Especially since their main reason would to be to gain access to blockaded southern cotton but the British instead just started planting cotton in India and Egypt to make up for the lost American sources. Cotton was also produced in Brazil so there really was never a solid economic case for intervention.

Lincoln made the moral argument mainly to anwser the domestic voices about why a democracy should fight to keep people who didn't want to stay. His anwser was we aren't just fighting to make them stay but we are also fighting to end the immoral practice of slavery.

Comment

• Originally posted by One_Mean_Rabbit

Do you and others really think that ridiculous statements like this help your argument? There's more drama on here than Real World.

this guy is almost funnier than fez
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The reason for secession perhaps, but not the reason the Civil War was fought. After all, Lincoln didn't give a damn about emancipation until it could be used as a political tool. Lincoln fought the Civil War, not to defeat slavery (as MOBIUS stated), but to perserve the union.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X