Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apolyton high school geeks! There is hope for you after all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton high school geeks! There is hope for you after all!

This is funny. A school for those who feel bullied or discriminated against. Interesting idea, but somehow I don't think it's very good to isolate kids from the rest of society.

So if you are a geek, and bullied in high school, move to Milwaukee. They'll set you up.

What I want to know, is who the bullies are in this new school. I bet you the goths bully the nerds. It seems unlikely there would be no bullies at this school. Whatcha think?

This is going to have the sidebars and advertisements in the quoted text, hopefully it comes out okay

Creating an ally for students
    Alliance School to open doors to those who feel bullied, harassed
    By SARAH CARR
    scarr@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: March 6, 2005

Ashley Werner does not mince words when describing her experience as a lesbian at Milwaukee's Pulaski High School.
    50770Alliance School

Ashley Werner, 17, a junior at Pulaski High School, talks to friend J. Botsford, a Marquette University student

Photo/David Joles

Ashley Werner, 17, a junior at Pulaski High School, talks to friend J. Botsford, a Marquette University student. Werner says she is often teased and ridiculed at school because she is a lesbian
    Quotable

I saw a lot of students who were being bullied and no one was doing anything about
    it.

- Tina Owen,
    who will become the lead teacher at Alliance School

The students who should be removed ... are those who are doing the harassment.

- Jonathan Turley,
    professor of public interest law

From what Ashley has told me, it is going to be for kids who feel different, whether they are smart or gay or just want to be their own
    person.

- Lorie Bump,
    Ashley Werner's mother
    Advertisement
    Experience the Most Romantic Hotel in the World!

"If you are even remotely different, (the students) harass and make fun of you," Werner said. The 17-year-old junior said she is teased, called names and singled out almost every day. The situation was no better when Werner attended Clintonville High School as a freshman and sophomore. "I decided that I had had enough with Clintonville and moved down here," Werner said.

Werner hopes her situation will improve next year. She plans to attend the Alliance School, a charter high school that will focus on students who feel discriminated against or bullied. That might be a Goth student, a painfully shy student or a gay one. All three have enrolled in the school, which plans to open in August.

The school will be the first of its kind in the state, and possibly the nation, its founders say.

Last spring, the Milwaukee School Board approved the concept, and school officials are looking for a building. A charter school is publicly funded, but has more autonomy and flexibility than most traditional schools.

"I saw a lot of students who were being bullied and no one was doing anything about it," said Tina Owen, a teacher at Milwaukee's Washington High School who will leave her job to become the lead teacher at Alliance. Some students who look and act different from the mainstream are "really tormented," she said. "I've even seen teachers be really hard on them."

The school will be open to all students, but the focus is on kids who are floundering socially or academically in traditional schools because of harassment or abuse.

"There's one girl who is really shy and quiet and gets picked on a lot," Owen said. "When she heard about the school, she said, 'Can I come? Can I come?' I said, 'Of course.' "

Another student, who dresses in a Goth style, was shunned by some teachers and students.

"The ultimate goal is to give kids a place where they want to come to school," Owen said.

The school has encountered no opposition so far, although Jonathan Turley, a professor of public interest law at George Washington University Law School, said he worries that "the creation of separate schools tends to take pressure away from school administrators to fulfill their basic duties for the student body."

"The students who should be removed from the school are those who are doing the harassment," he said.

Alliance will be small, student-driven and offer classes year round. Because of the size - about 100 students - teachers hope they will be able to connect with each of the students.

"There will be none of this, 'Oh, gosh, who is that one kid?' " said Nicole Powers, a teacher who devised the concept along with Owen.
    Not just for gay students

Luke Ashauer, who attends Clintonville High School, is thinking of moving to Milwaukee this summer to go to Alliance. He said his fellow students "are not exactly open to new concepts, such as being gay or just being different."

Ashauer does not expect Alliance to be perfect, but he is tired of other students mockingly imitating him in Clintonville.

"(Alliance) is a school and there are teenagers there, so there is going to be some prejudice," said Ashauer, who is gay. "But at least the school itself will be very student based and driven."

Owen and Powers said they recognized from the start that they did not want the school to serve solely gay and lesbian students. "From the get go, we knew that was one of the markets that would be attracted to our type of school, but it's never been the sole focus," Powers said.

"If you take that group by themselves, what are they learning about the rest of the world, and what is the rest of the world learning about them?" Owen said.

In New York City, Harvey Milk High School, a program geared toward gay and lesbian students, opened a year and a half ago. Almost immediately, a conservative state senator known for his opposition to gay causes sued the school, arguing that it is illegal under New York's sexual bias laws and a waste of taxpayers' money.

Turley, the law professor, strongly opposes the Harvey Milk School, although he is an advocate for gay rights in general. "The school becomes a powerful symbol to be used by abusive and hateful students," he said. "In New York, if you are suspected of being gay, you are sometimes told to go to Harvey Milk. This creates the impression that gay and lesbian students need special protection and have special needs. The focus should be on identifying those homophobic students who need to conform to basic social values or be expelled."

Turley is more optimistic about a school like Alliance, where the mission is defined more broadly, but he still has some concerns.

"High schools are often the last opportunity to instill basic citizenship values, including tolerance for a pluralistic society, and removing victims from that environment is, in many ways, a concession. . . . If these administrators cannot guarantee a healthy and safe environment, the solution is to get new administrators, not create a new school."
    Support, not isolation

The teachers at Alliance say their goal is not to isolate or segregate victims, but create an environment where students feel safe, and can learn how to go back out into the community and fight discrimination. They plan to work with groups like Pathfinders and the Counseling Center of Milwaukee to maintain a supportive environment.

"Oftentimes the sheer size makes it very difficult" in traditional schools, Powers said. "I think there are caring teachers and administrators and counselors in every school in the city, but they might be dealing with thousands of kids, and there are policies that the students had no say in, and they had no say in."

The teachers at Alliance are recruiting through school counselors; at Project Q, the youth program of the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center; and at hangouts such as Node Coffee Shop on North Ave.

Lorie Bump, Ashley Werner's mother, said she is happy that there will be "a safe place for kids like Ashley to go and get an education.

"Hopefully they will get away from the cliques and 'keeping up with the Joneses,' " she said. "From what Ashley has told me, it is going to be for kids who feel different, whether they are smart or gay or just want to be their own person."

Werner says she would like to focus on English and psychology in school. She's fascinated by psychology because she thinks the world would be a better place if "people understand why they act the way they do."

Regardless, she's hoping school will be a better place for her next year.

It would be nice if "you could be who you are without fear of being harassed," she said.

From the March 7, 2005, editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
    Get the Journal Sentinel delivered to your home. Subscribe now.
    Last edited by Dis; March 7, 2005, 19:27.

doh! the link worked just a few seconds ago, but now it requires a password. Let me see if I can get in, and I'll just print the entire story here.

here's the gist of it in this text

"If you are even remotely different, (the students) harass and make fun of you," Werner said. The 17-year-old junior said she is teased, called names and singled out almost every day. The situation was no better when Werner attended Clintonville High School as a freshman and sophomore. "I decided that I had had enough with Clintonville and moved down here," Werner said.

Werner hopes her situation will improve next year. She plans to attend the Alliance School, a charter high school that will focus on students who feel discriminated against or bullied. That might be a Goth student, a painfully shy student or a gay one. All three have enrolled in the school, which plans to open in August.

The school will be the first of its kind in the state, and possibly the nation, its founders say.

Last spring, the Milwaukee School Board approved the concept, and school officials are looking for a building. A charter school is publicly funded, but has more autonomy and flexibility than most traditional schools.

"I saw a lot of students who were being bullied and no one was doing anything about it," said Tina Owen, a teacher at Milwaukee's Washington High School who will leave her job to become the lead teacher at Alliance. Some students who look and act different from the mainstream are "really tormented," she said. "I've even seen teachers be really hard on them."

The school will be open to all students, but the focus is on kids who are floundering socially or academically in traditional schools because of harassment or abuse.

"There's one girl who is really shy and quiet and gets picked on a lot," Owen said. "When she heard about the school, she said, 'Can I come? Can I come?' I said, 'Of course.' "

Another student, who dresses in a Goth style, was shunned by some teachers and students.

"The ultimate goal is to give kids a place where they want to come to school," Owen said.
    Last edited by Dis; March 7, 2005, 19:29.

Comment

your new sig is a true understatement

Comment

It is still a good idea.. a noble idea.. and it is good they are promoting tolerance on campus. They have tried high schools for gay and bi students and from what I heard those have worked.

It is not isolation. In fact these kids were more isolated in their old high schools, then they would be at this school. I would think this based on common sense having gone through this just several years ago.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I'll give my poor thread a bump.

maybe I should have chose a better title.

Comment

I don't know. It's not like the bullies in high school and such act any differently once high school is done with. People need to be able to deal with bullies throughout their life, and it would probably be better to give kids the tools necessary to deal with *******s which would be more of a lifelong skill. I think some basic pyschology course combined with martial arts training could probably give bullied kids the upper hand.
            ku eshte shpata eshte feja
            Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

Working...
            X