Google Desktop Search 1.0...now with Firefox/Thunderbird, API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google says it looks at pdfs.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran
      You know very well you don't bring facts into any forum discussion!
      B♭3

Comment

cool

I was just thinking the other day I needed something like this when I was looking for something.

I google. If it had a dick, I would suck it.

Comment

Imran, I just checked and your right. But, irc, the last time I checked, a couple of months ago, it didn't. That's why they say that Google can now search PDFs.
          Last edited by Nostromo; March 7, 2005, 21:42.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

How large does such an index get? I only have ~900MB free space on my HD (20GB)

Fast Search results let you sort by custom metadata ("Reference" in this example).
            The thing with metadata is: someone has to enter it and it get's lost when putting the file on the internet or burn it on CD/DVD, no?
            #2 could be solved, but #1...

Btw, I tried Picasa2 over the last days, some things are very nice and other make me hate it - one is the absence of gif support (it's patent free now, no?) and the other is that I cannot tell it where to put the imported images from my digicam. It would always put them into "My Pictures", when I want to have it in a subfolder.
            There are some more annoyances, but I don't remember them now.

Comment

Metadata has to be entered by something. It could be the user, like after you upload a bunch of pictures from a vacation to Costa del Sol, you would add keywords to the collection like "vacation, 2005, trip, holiday, beach, Costa del Sol, Spain, Europe". On the other hand, when you rip music this metadata is automatically collected from services like Gracenote, or programs can automatically assign it otherwise.

And it would get lost unless it's in the file format itself (JPG, MP3/ID3, WMA), and not just the filesystem (NTFS/WinFS).

As for Picasa, I don't ever import from my camera with it...I use my camera software.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

How large does such an index get?

Comment

I'd imagine theoretically it could be terabytes in size.

Do you want to ask me a real question?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                  X