Brand Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnT
    Please don't mistake the New Commies with New Coke which was the greatest marketing failure in history.

Was it?
    Yep, it was. You may be right that there were some positive side effects, but any that came about were pure fluke. Coca Cola really thought they had a winner with New Coke, and as Ming pointed out, their market research backed that up.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

From everything that I've read here (from Che, if not from Kid), marketing is the antithesis of everything Communist and is one of the biggest sins/weapons of the Capitalist society...

A) it's like science, or "white magic black magic". The concept itself is neutral, and it's all in how you use it. Bring a product to a person who needs it? Excellent.
      Manufacture demand in consumers, by trying to sell something else instead of the product ( supposed lifestyle, or supposed appearance , for example): You're nothing but a leech on society. A conman who uses subliminal messaging.

B) Even if it's bad, there is nothing wrong with studying how it works. Parasitology, Virology, there are many field where this is the case.

IIRC, the reasoning goes that marketing generates a false desire for non-essential goods and blah, blah, blah, which creates an unsustainable consumerist society which will collapse blah, blah, blah, & etc.

evil capitalist marketing, yes.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
        A) it's like science, or "white magic black magic". The concept itself is neutral, and it's all in how you use it. Bring a product to a person who needs it? Excellent.
        Manufacture demand in consumers, by trying to sell something else instead of the product ( supposed lifestyle, or supposed appearance , for example): You're nothing but a leech on society. A conman who uses subliminal messaging.

MING'S A LEECH, GET HIM!!!

Comment

Hey, Ming fully admitted that often, advertising is evil. I must applaud him for that. He's only a single person in apparatus. At least he's not actively pursuing changes in our society that would benefit him even more on our expence. Because at this point, someone else would do that job anyway.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
            Hey, Ming fully admitted that often, advertising is evil. I must applaud him for that. He's only a single person in apparatus. At least he's not actively pursuing changes in our society that would benefit him even more on our expence. Because at this point, someone else would do that job anyway.
            Yes... advertising is one of those neutral things... it depends on how you use it.

It's a living... and many of us consider ourselves professionals. Everytime I see a bad commercial, or a commercial that is misleading, I cringe...
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The dot.com era must have been absolute torture for you, then.
              B♭3

Comment

Oooh, the right wing yanks are namecalling. I'm scared...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                  It's a living... and many of us consider ourselves professionals.
                  Everyone else thinks parasites...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    The dot.com era must have been absolute torture for you, then.
                    No kidding...

At least I wasn't one of those that ended up on the dot.com side just as they crashed and burned. While a few of my friends made millions and will never have to work again, most that went that route ended up out of work and took a long time to recover.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

btw, the online ad industry is starting to pick up real nice here. Is it the same in the states?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yep... it's finding it's place in the mix. While search (both organic and paid) is the hottest thing going, traditional online advertising is also coming back strong.

We are being a lot smarter on how to use it. When it comes to ROI, it's a proven winner.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

no "click on commercial" bull. People are paying just to be seen, it seems.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

At the time, I was working at the Agency that developed the "Where's Herb" campaign... (yeah, it really sucked, but the client did approve it) That was one of the worst marketing efforts in history, and we got fired because of it.

The Coca-Cola disaster was a simple case of doing the wrong research... and is proof of brand loyality. In blind taste tests, Almost everybody liked new coke better than old coke... They should have done the same test but not on a blind basis... they would have gotten a clue that better taste wasn't the real issue
                            Yeah I think they used a blind taste test to test New Coke. When the product hit the market people knew is wasn't the old Coke and they liked it less.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                            X