Two brief questions dealing with citation and format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two brief questions dealing with citation and format

First, say you want to parenthetically cite something you found in a newspaper article? How do you do that? Is it just like a book with the author and the page number? Or do you write the name of the newspaper? I'm not talking about how to write it under the works cited page, I'm talking about how to write it in the parentheses after you have cited it for an idea.

And say I am quoting something from a poem. How do the slashes work? They put slashes after lines, but how many spaces do you put in between lines and where do the slashes go? I am quoting these lines from a poem:

I am God’s alter ego.
    He is my counter part.
    In timelessness we merge-
    in time we seem apart.

Can someone demonstrate how this would be put into a quote format rather than writing it like the poem?
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

in what format? there is MLA, APA and CMS.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

MLA
      "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Re: Two brief questions dealing with citation and format

Originally posted by johncmcleod
        First, say you want to parenthetically cite something you found in a newspaper article? How do you do that? Is it just like a book with the author and the page number? Or do you write the name of the newspaper? I'm not talking about how to write it under the works cited page, I'm talking about how to write it in the parentheses after you have cited it for an idea.

And say I am quoting something from a poem. How do the slashes work? They put slashes after lines, but how many spaces do you put in between lines and where do the slashes go? I am quoting these lines from a poem:

I am God’s alter ego.
        He is my counter part.
        In timelessness we merge-
        in time we seem apart.

Can someone demonstrate how this would be put into a quote format rather than writing it like the poem?
        For newspaper, according to this

Bibliography:

Johnston, David Cay. “Got Game? Got Old Game?” New
        York Times 11 July 2003, late ed., F1+.

In-Text:

(Johnston F3)

Comment

Thank you. I have one more question. When using in-text parenthetical citation, you are supposed to put the end quote, then the citation, then the end punctuation. It should look like this:

The famous first sentence in Moby Dick is "Call me Ishmael" (1). Does this apply to the last sentence of quotes with multiple sentences?

And I still need to figure out how to quote poems.

And as for the newspaper thing, I have a slight problem. I got it from Brain in the News, which is a monthly magazine/newspaper that is made up of various articles on neuroscience that are published in newspapers around the country. Should I somehow give credit to Brain in the news?
          Last edited by johncmcleod; March 6, 2005, 18:14.

Comment

/me pages all English teachers.

Comment

for newspaper in text:

just type the quote, and put authors name at the end.

"blah blah blah blah" (Smith B7)

for nextpaper works cited page:

Brody, Jane E. "Doctors Get Poor Marks for Nutrition Knowledge."
              New York Times 10 Feb. 1992: B7

note: underline 'New York Times'

for poem in text:

blah blah blah blah (insert authors name) blah blah blah: "I am God’s alter ego. / He is my counter part. / In timelessness we merge- / in time we seem apart." (lines x - y.)
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Thanks, still not sure about the brain in the news thing. And do I really have to put the lines? And the thing is, these poems I am finding are in other books. I have to parenthetically cite where I got them from after each quote, like I'll say (quoted in Smith 121). Now where will I add the lines? Should I put it in the citation, like (lines 13-16, quoted in Smith 121)

Comment

Working...
                X