Who needs drugs- Get High on Architecture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs drugs- Get High on Architecture

Read today in an AIA (American Institute of Architects) publication that the AIA has established an Academy of Neuroscience for Architecture to research what exaxctly makes buildings delightful for their occupants.

The AIA is the voice of the architectural profession and a resource for its members in service to society.

The AIA is the voice of the architectural profession and a resource for its members in service to society.

Some quotes from the articles:
    Making Vitruvius measurable

So, where to begin in describing the potential we see? Often highly complex new information can offer very simple insights into very old questions. Vitruvius suggested that architecture was based on three principles: commodity, firmness, and delight. This third measure represents the positive experiences humans can have in their built environments.

Is it possible to measure delight? Neuroscientists have learned that almost all positive feelings are reflected by a higher level of activity by the neurotransmitter dopamine. These neurotransmitters affect most areas of the brain. When they are released by the brain—an occurrence that can be measured—the result is a feeling of well-being and delight. Vitruvius meets neuroscience, suggesting a common objective—delight by promoting a higher level of activity by the dopamine neurotransmitter.
    Dopamine sound familiar? It's the stuff that Ecstasy causes your brain to release.

Twelve years ago, frustrated over the meager press coverage of architecture, I was informed by a CBS News
    executive that architecture seldom becomes newsworthy
    except when it fails. I asked, What if we told you that an
    individual’s longevity, health, and productivity were directly
    proportional to the quality of the architecture they consistently
    experienced? You can’t say that, he shot back. I know, but what if we could, I responded.Without hesitation he replied, when you can, let me be the first to know.
    Twelve years later, we may be getting closer to making that call.
    The only question now is, will computer programmers get there first?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

I prefer mary jane
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It is indeed cheaper... but no joint will last you 5,000 years.
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
        It is indeed cheaper... but no joint will last you 5,000 years.
        one could... but it'd have to be REALLY REALLY BIG
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

At which point a building would be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
            At which point a building would be cheaper.
            Hell no man... pot comes from the earth!!! you can't grow buildings!

although I admit it would take a lot of pot to make a joint that lasts 5,000 years... but then again, one pot seed can spawn a pot plant that produces seeds, which in turn produce more seeds which could theoretically last for over 5,000 years.

marijuana was around before large buildings and will be around long after those concrete goliaths are ground into bits...
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That sounds like crap.

I have gotten high off brisket though.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

A couple of years ago I visited a friend of mine who lives in Philly. We got high and walked around the city (mainly old city) and tried to guess when the various buildings were built. We actually wrote it down, but never checked to see if we were right. There might be better things to do in Philly but not at 3am. What's my point? Weed and architectural admiration go hand in hand or some such garbage.
                Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Working...
                X