Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AWESOME PHOTO THREAD - WW1 in full colour!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWESOME PHOTO THREAD - WW1 in full colour!!!!

I was really amazed by the TV series "True Colours of WW2" or whatever it's called in English. Those colour films made all the horrors seem like yesterday. B/W films and photos make history look older than it is, and B/W technology was used way into the 70ies.

As most of you probably don't know, colour photography was invented by the French Lumiere brothers about the turn of the last century. But it took a while before they really exported it. I've found some sites where the Frogs and their Russian friends show the period of WW1 and even earlier in it's true colours. Even if it was almost a 100 years ago, these pictures make the history feel much closer. They were just humans too, and they took part in one of the most idiotic mistakes ever.

I'm surprised we havent seen these pictures in the mainstream history books before, as the winners write the history, and the French certainly claimed to have won when they dictated the Peace in Versaille. I don't think it's some Technicolor or Photoshopping, it really seems to be true colour photos from that time.

Color pictures from Great War, real and tinted. With many articles, cartoons and photo slideshows on the First World War 1914 - 1918 (using English and Dutch/Flemish language)

A complete listing of items on display during The Prokudin-Gorskii Photographic Record Recreated: The Empire That Was Russia exhibition at the Library of Congress. Items are listed in order by exhibition subject.

(To bad they removed the best site, that one was really AWESOME. It was only a temporary link.)
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

seen some of those before... others show cathedrals, POWs and even the emir of Bokhara or something... not WWI-related, but same time.

Comment

So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Comment

Anybody who has been in military service should be familiar with this picture. This hasn't changed the last 100 years.

Comment

Even more interesting:

Many children fought in the Great War: many pictures and articles. And more cartoons, color pictures and photo slideshows on the First World War 1914 - 1918 (using English and Dutch/Flemish language)
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

GREAT pics. This is very interesting, and really makes wwI come alive.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Excellent pics, first time I have seen WW1 pics in colour. Which might be the reason I have found it a bit borish.. anyway, great links, I have enjoyed myself. And yes, they come ALIVE
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

If only we would learn and all get along

Gramps
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Russian kids in 1909. What has really changed in 96 years?

EDIT: But I think this image is Photoshopped

Comment

this image struck me as lively

Comment

This could be today in Chechnya, Afghanistan or whatever. But it was a 100 years ago.

Comment

Don Quijote, feel the horror of Tsar Russia in 1912

Comment

Amazing Absolutely incredible... I'm bookmarking some of this. It's so eerie to think that most of the people that survived that war are dead and dying now. And the pic of the Russian kids in 1909... that strange look on the blonde girls face on the right... I don't know why but this is mind blowing.
                            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                              Russian kids in 1909. What has really changed in 96 years?
                              They'd be carrying mobile phones now.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X