The State of Music 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of Music 2005

Was just watching Rage (Australian alternative music show)... and pretty much every song was some attempt to copy new wave/70's rock/punk/synth pop etc...
    Is rock becoming an orthodoxy? Simply a repository of tried genres from which bands can pick and choose and customize their sound? And what is it with the flaming lips and their stupid fluffy bunny rabbits and spongebob crap'd-his-pants? Why does electric six's cover of Radio ga ga seem more like an embarassing tribute than what it should be- a tacky, kitsch spoof? Why does a black and white glitchy video clip of a new wave rehash seem eerily contemporary?
    Has culture exhausted all options and must now rummage through the bargain bin of history? Was Baudrillard right about the increasing preoccupation with nostalgia and with producing signs of origin that accompanies a break with reality?
    Or am I just listening to the wrong ****? If there is anything new and exciting out there to which I am not privy please alert me to its presence.

Have you heard of the Village People? I just discovered them, and songs like YMCA and In the Navy truly bring rock to a new, fresh, 2005-esque level.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

More seriously, here's my last mix:
      1. Mclusky - Lightsabre ********ing Blues
      2. flogging molly - screaming at the wailing wall
      3. Bif Naked - The Peacock Song
      4. The Vandals - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
      5. Dead Kennedys - Trust Your Mechanic
      6. Les Cowboys Fringants - En Berne
      7. Thee Headcoatees - Don't Wanna Hold Your Hand
      8. The Black Halos - Some things never fall
      9. Lars Frederiksen - Six Foot Five
      10. Le Tigre - Riot Grrrl
      11. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Auld Lang Syne
      12. Makkabees - Maschiach
      13. NoFX - What's the Matter with Parents
      14. The Vandals - My Girlfriend's Dead
      15. Rob Zombie - Feel So Numb
      16. Lovecraft Choir - Carol of the Old Ones
      17. Laibach - Jesus Christ Superstar
      18. Fantômas - The Godfather
      19. Tenacious D - Karate
      20. Huun-Huur-Tu - Tuvan Internationale

Nothing particularly super-original. Sorry.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Its really sad how little good modern music there is

Its even sadder how little good modern music gets to Korea
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

You've never heard Korean radio
            *shudders*
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Radio is bad all over the world.
              Get a lot of MP3's and turn on shuffle.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Ever listened to They Might Be Giants, they are... well, different from the mainstream.
                The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
                - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

Re: The State of Music 2005

Originally posted by Dracon II
                  Is rock becoming an orthodoxy?
                  becoming?
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Pave
                    Ever listened to They Might Be Giants, they are... well, different from the mainstream.
                    TMBG

Comment

Arcade Fire
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

No Genesis album - this year sucks just like several previous ones and perhaps all the ones to come...
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

It depends on where you look for music. It also depends on what you're looking for. I don't think there's any stagnation in music if that's what you're trying to say. There are plenty of acts that play new and different music but there are also bands that emulate older styles - those older styles were obviously a success and they can still be successful.

For bands that are new and different you might try Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Pinback or Grandaddy. It might be that you're stuck in the same place musically or that you don't know where or how to look for the music you like. My advice is to find a band or bands you like and look for who they play with and who they or their fans listen to.
                          I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                          New faces...Strange places,
                          Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                          -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

I've listened to the Velvet Underground's All Tomorrow's Parties over and over tonight.

I live under a rock.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Good song... but Nico's voice gets on my nerves.

Definitely heard of TMBG... I don't mind them at all...

Well, I will keep searching. I have noticed that a lot of bands are trying to sound overly simple... like a garage sound. If you ask me, you shouldn't make garage music unless you genuinely live in a garage. Maybe I'm being snobby and I don't realize that rock and roll is supposed to be atavistic. I guess some garage rock sounds good... but more often than not nowadays it just sounds like scraping a blackboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X