Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need computer help NOW! Undelete stuff FAT32 XP.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need computer help NOW! Undelete stuff FAT32 XP.....

Okay, in my infinitely stupidity, I deleted some big files that I really shouldn't after misreading the file name. I'm running XP with FAT32 and need some way of recovering the files.

I realize the that longer that I leave it, the smaller the chances of recovering. To make things worst, I don't have alot of hd space left so any new operation is likely to overwrite stuff there.

So can some one point me to some free, small soft ware that can recover software fast. I don't really want to surf the net as it would use the HD.....

If you have a spare HDD, the best way is to replace the current one with it, then install an OS (probably Windows...). Go look for a data recovery program, install that, then plug in the existing drive as slave or something, and use the reovery program on it.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

There's actually a way to undo stuff through Windows without outside software. The OS takes snapshots of the computer everytime it first boots in a given day for a few days (oldest snapshot gets deleted to be replaced by a newer one). This has saved me from serious foul ups 2 or 3 times before, but for the life of me I can't remember how to access those backups.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Go into Window's "Help and Support Center" program in the Start menu and search for "backup." One of the hits will be "Restore System State data." READ THE PAGE CAREFULLY. This might help you or it might not.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

No, that's just the system, i.e. Windows.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

well, they aren't system files, but they took a while to dl, and it'd take days now since there are no more seeds for them.

At least BT can help me fix file integerity problems....
            Last edited by MORON; March 4, 2005, 07:05.

Comment

grrr, can't find any file recovery program that don't really like $30 usd and can find the file....rediculus...... nor am I good with searching for software of dubious legality......grrrr

Comment

Ah least they are downloadable though? Would completely suck to lose a unique piece of work. Which reminds me to upload my novel to email
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Okay, nevermind now..... the files got corrupted so there goes a week of downloading

On top of that, I got spyware that not even adware recognizes..... in the form of
                  mediapass.exe
                  mediapassk.exe

which reserrects using the other exe when closed.... I guess it is time for some deep registry cleaning work... grrrrr

At least firefox is not effected......

Comment

If anyone needs such a program in the future:
                    Attached Files

Comment

You should probably give us references for that program Sirot... the paranoid among us etc
                      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Backup your files! I now have a 1GB thumb drive I always carry around with me that I use to keep a copy of my important files.

Comment

Don't restore them, just defrag your hard drive instead
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It's almost as bad as suggesting others to buy SCO stocks

Comment

MORON,

Some of your files may still be recoverable. Some recovery software is better than others.

Try looking for this program: http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/

On Kazaa or e-mule, or whatever. I was able to get it off kazaa within an hour when I was in a similar situation. Its a really good program and got all my important files back.

Also, you can download the demo and it will tell you if you can recover your files, but you won't be able to actually retrieve them without the full version.

Comment

Working...
                              X