Another look at OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another look at OS X

I've been toying with OS X more and more through work, not by choice. As most of you know, I'm not really a fan of Aqua, and I've criticized OS X quite a bit in many, many posts here.

A big part of my disgust with OS X was how it was different. Of course, the more you use it, the better you can get used to it and use it efficiently.

There are definitely some cool parts to it. For one, I've always been a fan of BSD, and I love that Apple chose to go with a BSD kernel (and not Linux...or even worse, their own design).

Apple's business design allows them to do a lot of cool things, cheaper and easier than their competition can. They have wholesale control of their computers: sales, hardware, software and all. They're the first real computer company to look at the personal computer as more than a tool, but as a toy. Maybe toy isn't the best word...consumer device.

They push the envelope with designs that no one else could get away with. They become chic. They can use their position as the only supplier to do things like remove legacy ports first (like serial/parallel), and remove floppy drives.

Steve Jobs is a marketing genius. He's moved from his fantastic claims about the G4 being a supercomputer, to marketing the true appeal of the Mac -- simplicity. Apple does do a lot of things that make me scratch my head and ask, "Why the hell hasn't someone done this before?" One example is Expose. While I do think this is more necessary on OS X than Windows or Linux, due to the lack of a "task bar" with descriptive text, it would be an excellent feature across all of the systems. It's not only elegant and slick, it's useful.

I'm still finding it rather painful to use OS X, personally, but I'm starting to see more and more what people like about it. It's easier to make things "just work" when you have a very limited combination of hardware and software to test. Apple has gotten away with putting a very flashy, usable interface on top of a very fast and advanced kernel, giving them the best of both worlds. "Power users" can make liberal use of the BSD underpinnings, while the "casual users" really love the huge default icons on the Dock and the overall visual impression.

I don't think it's likely, at all, for Apple to ever obtain a majority marketshare. They will always be a niche player. Put simply, their business practices as they are now would be patently illegal if they were a far larger company. But they certainly aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They'll be around for a long, long time.

I appreciate Apple being in the market, if only because I appreciate a fresh look on things. A lot of what they do I'll pray never makes it to the PC (I'm thinking of the single menu bar at the top, and the lack of a taskbar mostly), but it's nice to have the little guy who can move faster and try new things easier.

Apple.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

?

Are you alright?
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm not sure I believe this. How about a screenie of your OS X desktop?

* actually I just want to save it for posterity.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

SOMEBODY DIAL 911 - ASHERS HAVING A MENTAL BREAKDOWN!!!!!!
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

There's a sadistic genius out there who has hacked Asher's account.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Is the war over?
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Shame on you, Agathon. Hacking other users accounts is WRONG.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Yeah, hacking Asher's account though is always fun.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                    I'm not sure I believe this. How about a screenie of your OS X desktop?

* actually I just want to save it for posterity.
                    It's not customized or anything, it's just a utility account...
                    Attached Files
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Shame on you, Agathon. Hacking other users accounts is WRONG.

If I'd hacked it he would be praising the Toronto Maple Leafs, Communism and 80s New Wave pop records.

Ah... NeXT interface Builder Files.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Fortran

FORTRAN?????

Q: What do you think the future programming language for supercomputers will be?

A: I don't know, but whatever it is, it'll be called FORTRAN.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Disclaimer: I'm still not a fan of Xcode, by a longshot.

Comment

Nice job of "airbrushing out" the IBM.com information, Agathon. It's those little touches that makes this one of the best s/n hijacks ever!

So, how many tries before you figured out Asher's password? I'm guessing it's "Blink182" or "MissyElliot" or something like that...

Comment

Your dock is bigger than mine sir.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X