No announcement yet.

Lebanese "Government" and George Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is that "When Bush hatred makes you a moron" thread?
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Oh Pchang, don;t let you Bush hatred do that to you. It makes you look silly.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yes. Because nothing good could ever come out of the opposition. And anybody who says so is a traitor to the cause. DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!!!!
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

The arguement here is how much Bush has to do with the current goings on.

Lets retrace this arguement.

You say :the NYT htinks so.
          I ask: who cares [that the NYT thinks].
          replying "who cares" put me in mind of a child, who, when something inconvenient is pointed out, responds "who cares" - having had a child I can assure you kids do that. I responded in kind.

Sorry if that set you off.

And yes, in this town, editorials matter.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I wish to note that the Israeli TV showed very unusual recording of official Syrian TV.

They had a serious discussion with people shouting and saying things like never before. Someone said: "How can we keep sitting quietly, as Iraqis and Palestinians had their real democratic elections and the Lebanese are marching and protesting against their government? The Syrian people had to watch the Iraqis in Syria vote in ballots in free elections, away from the eyes of Syrian Intelligence, and we know that the Syrian vote is forced on them."

I'm going to attempt and find that clip on memri

Comment

I'm pretty surprised that Syria has no friends. Absolutely no friends.

They managed to get the US, France, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Egypt, and Israel all on the same page. That takes special skill.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Hmmm... well, I had a totally different idea of who made up the editorial board.

'Course, I only read individual columns, rarely the editorials.

So you were calling Tom Friedman a neo-con?
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It's a nebulous designation, so he may or may not be depending on the multiple definitions of the ideology. The point was that he did support the war on Iraq because he believed that planting democracy in the state would transform the Arab world.

For example, this is from a column in 1/2003:

if the U.S. removed Saddam and helped Iraqis build not an overnight democracy but a more accountable, progressive and democratizing regime, it would have a positive, transforming effect on the entire Arab world — a region desperately in need of a progressive model that works.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

God, I'm so sick of the term "neo-con". The left has warped it beyond all recognition and utility at this point...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Which is not an unreasonable idea in of itself, it's just that ideas like economic inequality and labor organization are generally divorced from the dictatorship/terror model. And are generally deemed unimportant anyways.
                      Last edited by Ramo; March 3, 2005, 22:10.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

How about "neo-con-artist" then?
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

God, I'm so sick of the term "neo-con". The left has warped it beyond all recognition and utility at this point...

It was already warped beyond all recognition and utility before the "left" got its hands on it.
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Not really. It was a perfectly useful and narrowly defined term only a few years ago. It was only after the left decided to brand every pro-war person on Earth as an evil "neo-con" that the term became useless.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Not really. Any ideology influenced by Strauss is bound to degenerate into nonsense.
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Most political terms are useless like that.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X