Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTH - Decency Restriction to be Impose on Cable and Sats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    It should be stricken down immediately by the courts once passed.

Why? It's interstate commerce, is it not? If its defined as obscenity is banned, then you have problems because the First Amendment has been said not to cover obscene material.

It'll probably be legal (as long as they don't overreach, but that's a BIIIG if), but very, very, very bad policy.
    You and I both know the definition of obscene is iffy at best. It'll never hold.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Since sats and cable are not beholden to the government for these licensing arrangements
      Sats are beholden to the government for licensing. There's a whole sat branch at the FCC for sats. They utilize public airwaves to deliver content.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
        You and I both know the definition of obscene is iffy at best. It'll never hold.
        Tell that to the Supreme Court which has upheld obscenity laws in its history.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ted Stevens

Ted Striker
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

**** the supreme court, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              **** the supreme court, then.
              Except that they interpret the law, boyo .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"Cable is a much greater violator in the indecency area,"

Don't you... uhm... need something to violate before you are accused of violating? As long as laws aren't being broken, there's no violation.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Supreme Court/Constitution Circle Jerk Worship

SCROTUM
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Who cares, by the time something like this would be enacted, we'd be getting video programming over broadband internet anyway.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Tell that to the Supreme Court which has upheld obscenity laws in its history.
                      and has struck down similarly things such as COPA.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

What a jerk
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Boo!
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

But but but....if they make HBO clean and safe, we'll no longer have a ready source of witty, modern dramas to show on friday night on public TV.

Special relationship my arse!
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Special relationship my arse!
                              Dare I ask, 'With what?'
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                                Who cares, by the time something like this would be enacted, we'd be getting video programming over broadband internet anyway.
                                And what media does the internet use

Cables of course - what do you think next target will be ?
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X