How I would destroy the tobacco companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I would destroy the tobacco companies

Firstly, whilst I am not a smoker, I do enjoy the odd cigar every now and again... I am also a business/marketing strategist by profession.

Most countries around the world have banned or controlled cigarette advertisements and enacted legislation to curb the places where one can light up. Furthermore, most jurisdications mandate a government health warning in one form or another.

Every smoker I have talked to has their preferred brand (Malboro light, Dunhill, Silkcut etc etc etc etc) or will buy a certain brand due to advertising or promotion.

What I would propose, if I were the preverbial emperor for a day, would be to ban all forms of branding, promotion or marketing (except for government health warnings) on cigarette packets. Ergo, the only thing you would see on the store shelf would be a small white carboard box with the warning that smoking may harm your unborn baby.

How would this control or bring down the tobacco companies you ask?

Well I shall answer that with a question. If you can not tell which brand you are buying (due to the lack of promotion or branding on the packet) how can you buy your favourite malboros, silkcuts or dunhills? The confusion would mean that consumers would get gradually cheesed off as they would continually be smoking something other than their brand and the companies would be unable to forecast sales.

As the only differeniation between manufacturers/distributors would be price (advertsing and branding having been curtailed), rival companies would be discounting eachother for any form of market leverage. Of course, over time, this would eat into profit margins and gradually erode the value of these companies assets. People invest in companies with records of solid planning, good governance and reliable track performance. If sales are random, track record becomes worthless and planning becomes non-existent, thus accelerating the capital flight.

Additionally, how would the same companies be able to forecast sales if they had no marketing data to base their production figures on? As sales, and by extension production companies, will experience massive fluctuations due to random sales figures, the producers (farmers of tobacco) would be unable to plant with any degree of certainty of selling their crop and would over a period of time be forced to plant more stable cash crops to ensure a modicum of enconomic stability.

Please feel free to puncture holes in this idea....
    "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
    "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

How would I destroy the tobacco companies?

Not buy their product.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Nukes

Comment

It's a good idea.

My uncle had a good idea a while ago aswell, he said the problem is that cigs are too easy to get and too easy to see. They are in supermarkets and local shops, whereas they should be restricted to just liquor shops.

If you applied both ideas, you could phase out cigs very quickly.

The trick is to try and get everyone to stop smoking, before taking cigs off the market, otherwise you're going to create a blackmarket that can't be controlled.
        be free

Comment

Bah, the companies will just get known by the price of one pack.

"I'd take one 3€22 and two 3€15 please"
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
            My uncle had a good idea a while ago aswell, he said the problem is that cigs are too easy to get and too easy to see. They are in supermarkets and local shops, whereas they should be restricted to just liquor shops.

If you applied both ideas, you could phase out cigs very quickly.
            In France, you will find cigarettes only in bars and liquor shops. Plenty of people go to these places exclusively to buy cigarettes, and not to consume anything else the place has to offer.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Nothing. I just hate it when I lit a cigarette and know it's the last and nowhere to get more.

In my opinion it should be a case for the government to secure that there are a tobacco sale close to everyone 24 hours a day.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Although I hate tobacco (I've smoked and/or chewed for years, now in the process of quitting)

It is greatly responsible for making America what it is, economically and otherwise... it was our 1st export afterall (iirc). ...so it can't be all bad

Let people smoke, keep the money rolling in!!!!

Just keep it away from me and my family . (unless I'm really jonesing )

Comment

If you could differentiate pricing, word would get out and meanwhile they would pump up their advertising to Asia and Africa and every country where your law does not apply.

If it did hurt enough, tobacco companies would merge operations and smokers would soon find a new favorite from among the available price choices.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Just declare nicotine (and all nicotine dlivery systems) a controlled substance
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I dunno, atomant. The lack of branding and marketing doesn't seem to hurt sales of illegal drugs. and the big tobacco companies are all diversified across many multinational industries. These companies hedged their bets al long time ago.

I think the key is to make itobacco (nicotine) a controlled substance, ineligible for medical coverage, and keep raising taxes until it becomes a true luxury item.

Heck, even now, you can buy nicotine products (gum etc) OTC in drug stores. It's marketed as "medicine" -- one of the all-time ironic product positioning platforms.

Marketing is a powerful thing, but so is addiction.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Smoking can make you die!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                          Smoking can make you die!!
                          So can living or rather - if you dare to try to live, you are guranteed to die.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

At the liquor store I work at, we have rows upon rows of cigarettes which are sold to customers. Being the nice guy I am, if the packet I pick up has the "smoking kills" warning on the front, I grab another packet and put the "killer" packet back. The ironic side-effect of this is that almost all of the front packets end up reading "smoking kills".
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I miss smoking... it was fun

smoking only causes birth defects. Must of been buying from Skanky.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X