No announcement yet.

I don't get the Lib Dems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used to vote Lib Dem until I realised how closed minded they were ideologically

Comment

that these will all be paid for by the wealth tax

I oppose wealth taxation, higher income tax on high income earners for sure, but no wealth taxes please.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        that these will all be paid for by the wealth tax

I oppose wealth taxation, higher income tax on high income earners for sure, but no wealth taxes please.
        What is the distinction?

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu Elephant

What is the distinction?

To most people, a "wealth tax" is a tax on assets or wealth rather than on income. A lot of people who accept progressive income taxation also oppose a wealth tax
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

To most people, a "wealth tax" is a tax on assets or wealth rather than on income. A lot of people who accept progressive income taxation also oppose a wealth tax
            Like a house? Or money sitting in a bank account?

Comment

Like a house? Or money sitting in a bank account?
              Depends on the type as to what is included but you have the idea. You pretty much have to tax all asset value or it would be an easy tax to avoid by purchasing assets of the exempt class.

Most proponents favor taxing the wealthy if their "assets " exceed certain thresholds. I have seen people mention this as a possible annual tax while others seem to try to target inheritences and wealth transfers
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh and personally I am not a big fan of wealth taxes. Income taxes have taken between 15 and 40+% of everything I earn and I paid an additional 7% to 15% VAT on pretty much everything I have.

So I got taxed on earning and I got taxed on acquiring-- I don't really think it is fair to tax me again for "having" if I happen to hit some threshold like a million dollars some day

Comment

I'm opposed to it primarily because I don't believe recurrent taxation of the same asset is particular fair, unless that particular asset has a cost to maintain that is not reflected other than by such taxation.

Comment

Cheers.

However i dont see how being for progressive taxation and higher inheritence tax (a wealth tax) are ideologically mutually exlcusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                      I'm opposed to it primarily because I don't believe recurrent taxation of the same asset is particular fair, unless that particular asset has a cost to maintain that is not reflected other than by such taxation.
                      Understandable

Besides most people face a form of wealth tax in their municipal property assessments anyway. Its unrelated to service usage ( our water is metred) but the guy in the million dollar home faces a municipal tax bill 4 times as high as the guy in the 250,000 home.

This is actually becoming an issue here in Calgary as the inner city home valuies skyrocket. Many older folks don't have enough money to pay the tax bill for their home and end up having to sell. While they can do well on such sale, there's something about the whole thing that just feels wrong

Comment

Cheers.

However i dont see how being for progressive taxation and higher inheritence tax (a wealth tax) are ideologically mutually exlcusive.
                        They're not . Some people support both. Personally I happen to support only one. I think income taxation combined with a VAT are the way to go. If you need revenue, get it from those means.

Comment

ZE. They're not, Lefties could well support both.

Comment

I'll put in my two pence and say that VAT (and other regressive taxes) are crap.
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

Besides most people face a form of wealth tax in their municipal property assessments anyway. Its unrelated to service usage ( our water is metred) but the guy in the million dollar home faces a municipal tax bill 4 times as high as the guy in the 250,000 home.

This is actually becoming an issue here in Calgary as the inner city home valuies skyrocket. Many older folks don't have enough money to pay the tax bill for their home and end up having to sell. While they can do well on such sale, there's something about the whole thing that just feels wrong
                              Council tax is an interesting one. With council tax the concept of the wealth tax for its own sake is often lost. Its often not based on the ability to pay, which is an ideological basis for wealth taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                                I'll put in my two pence and say that VAT (and other regressive taxes) are crap.
                                I actually don't much like VATs either but I accept one in preference to a tax on wealth.

Comment

Working...
                                X