I don't get the Lib Dems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get the Lib Dems

The Lib dems have htis grand idea of raising top end income tax to 50% (for earners over 100k a year).

Now, I can't see that raising to much money in itself, yet they have spent that money on EVERYTHING. Whenever any spending issues come up, we hear '50% for 100k a year earners!!!!'

I mean, seriously, it's like that tax will raise an infinate amount of cash
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

It all depends on the number of people in the country earning > £100K. I'd imagine it's a fair few. Without being given more info on their numbers no-one can really comment, but they do tend to be more reasonable than the populist conservatives on that front.

Having said that, and while I do like the lib dems, they're the third party, while they'll take a big bite out of the conservatives in may they'll still be the third party after the election, so I would imagine coming up with a spending plan that can be picked apart by parliament and the media after coming to power is less of a priority than Labour.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

It's not that, it's the fact that when they say 50%, they mean 70%
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yes but their leader is ginger... it'd be like voting for Guns n' Roses
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

well, high earners are already paying 40%, or there abouts. It just seems silly

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
            41%. But then the average sod is paying 33%. Its just gloss the fact that income tax' is stated as only 22%
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Also, tax liability as a percentage of income dips a bit at ~£35k, that kink should be fixed first.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes but...

Comment

Why?
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

it seems silly that just by bumping it to 50%, they all of a sudden have an infinate suply of cash they won't shut up about

Comment

Okay, if you can name for me all the policies the Lib Dems have said they'll spend this money on, I'll keep listening. I've heard (from the BBC) scrapping tuition and top-up fees, free personal care for the elderly and a rather vague promise to cut local taxes. Am I missing anything?
                      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
                        nd a rather vague promise to cut local taxes. Am I missing anything?
                        Pre-election manifesto here: http://www.libdems.org.uk/documents/...to04_small.pdf

Says that tuition fees, child care and lower local taxes will cost £ 4.3bn and that these will all be paid for by the wealth tax.

Also going to dump the child trust fund (no subsidised 18th birthday parties for the plebs) ID cards and the DTI

No figures on how much the local income tax will cost those of us who are not pensioners or low-earners

Comment

Re: I don't get the Lib Dems

The Lib dems have htis grand idea of raising top end income tax to 50% (for earners over 100k a year).

Now, I can't see that raising to much money in itself, yet they have spent that money on EVERYTHING. Whenever any spending issues come up, we hear '50% for 100k a year earners!!!!'

I mean, seriously, it's like that tax will raise an infinate amount of cash
                          On the plus side, it's still more credible than the Tory plans- which appear to be based on the hope that they'll find the money down the back of the sofa.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Progressive taxation:

Comment

i would have thought that even the briefest of glances at the lib-dems spending 'plans' would reveal things far more laughable than increasing the top rate of tax...
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X