• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese moon base

Japan aims for moon base by 2025
    Last Updated Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:45:59 EST
    CBC News
    TOKYO - On the heels of its successful rocket launch on the weekend, Japan announced plans to send people to a station on the moon by 2025.

"We will include [the lunar station] as one of the future goals in our new long-term vision, which we are going to submit with the government's Space Activity Commission by the end of March," an official with Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency told Agence France-Presse on Monday.

Japan's space agency, or JAXA, also aims to set up a satellite system to transmit alerts for disasters like earthquakes or tsunamis.

Satellites would send information to cellphones on Earth, added the official, who asked not to be named.

The official was responding to a news story in Monday's edition of the Japanese daily Mainichi Shimbun, which reported JAXA is drafting a long-term plan to develop vehicles like NASA's space shuttles by 2025.

Japan's space plans call for robots to explore the moon by 2015. Within two decades, technology could allow humans to stay on a solar-powered lunar research base for extended periods.

The international space industry doubts Japan will become a major player at launching commercial satellites, but its technology could contribute to regional tsunami warnings.

On Saturday, a rocket designed and built by the Japanese successfully placed a satellite into orbit. The $155 million US satellite will assist weather forecasts and aircraft navigation.

In 1972, Japan became the fourth country to launch a satellite. Aside from its lunar mission, the country aims to be the first to collect and retrieve samples from an asteroid.

In November 2003, one of Japan's H-2A rockets exploded in midair, temporarily grounding its space plans until the technical problem was fixed.

The setback came one month after China successfully launched its first astronaut into orbit.

Japan's $2.5 billion US space budget can afford one or two launches per year. Although Japanese space officials say they are not in a space race with China, a government panel recommended studying the possibility of establishing a manned space program.

A perceived nuclear threat from communist North Korea may also be contributing to Japan's space activity. In a break from its peaceful space policy, Japan began launching spy satellites in 2003.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

I am fully prepared for a lunar global war, as long as it gets the moon colonized.

Japan had some problems with it's space program, AFAIK... hope that they'll get over them, and will cooperate as little as possible with other nations on the issues, while continuing to strive forward in their space exploration.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

This must not be allowed to happen. Everyone knows that a Japanese moon base will attract every space monster in existence.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

tentacle rape on the moon
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          tentacle rape on the moon
          *Prepares to steal idea*
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

This must not be allowed to happen. Everyone knows that a Japanese moon base will attract every space monster in existence.

They're doing it to stop the attacks on Tokyo. I think they're finally tired of having to rebuild 364 out of 365 days of the year.
            B♭3

Comment

I get the feeling you guys aren't taking my thread seriously.
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Naw, their national debt is worse then Americas or Italy's so they don't have the cash for big new space programs.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

GODZIRRRA!!!
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Good to see that somebody wants to do it....

Well, actually, every Space Agency out there wants a permanent scientific base on the moon. The question is whether and when they'll have it. I doubt the Japanese alone are able to make such an effort
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

2025 is pretty optimistic for a country which is only just studying the possibility of manned missions, but it's certainly the next logical step to take in space exploration.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Oh, ocme on, its obviously as move to solve the pension problem- whcih do you guys think is really cheaper, keeping old people here on earth and giving them decent pensions, or shipping them off to die glorious deaths making Nippon on the Moon?

Those old people that make it will be allowed to come back and have a wonderful 7' by 6' studio.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

They just tell the old folks that they're going to the moon then when they reach orbit they open the airlocks and toss the old coggers out.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Are you nuts? Orbital pollution is bad enough as it is- what if some dead senior knocks out some important television satellite?

Nah, you have to go to the moon- the more old japanese people burried there, the more Japan can claim rights over the whole thing- who will argue, or build over giant Japanese cemeteries?
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This is doable, if Japan wishes it. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind about Japan's space program.

Throughout the 70s and 80s, Japan licensed the design of an American rocket, the Thor. In succession, the N-1, N-2, and H-1 had only one miss out of 24 launches -- the miss being early in the program. In other words, this was a successful rocket program.

In the early 90s, they thought they had a good handle on this rocket stuff and decided to strike out on their own and design a purely Japanese rocket, the H-2. Unfortunately for them, the H-2 proceeded to fail twice in its first seven attempts. Since that rocket didn't work out too well, they decided to design another, the H-2A. After 5 successes, in 2003, the H-2A blew up -- quite a fireball.

Japan finds itself in a precarious situation. The Japanese are space nuts through and through and don't like to lose face by failure. But they had just blown up their rocket and now they had a serious inferiority complex. Their only successful programs were with American-designed launchers.

They redesigned the H-2A and breathed a huge sigh of relief when over the weekend they successfully returned it to flight.

So right now, you're seeing a lot of frothy comments from the Japanese. No longer are they a backward nation that can't put a tin can in space to save their lives. Rather, they are now an invincible spacefaring nation and can stick it in the eye to all comers.

I would give it a couple of weeks for them to settle down.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X