Writing Stories about Zombies is a felony in Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Stories about Zombies is a felony in Kentucky

Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening Says Incident A Misunderstanding

A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
    said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

Poole is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

Good lord, people are stupid.

for his grandparents turning his work into the police.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

The heights of stupidity that some (or most) can aspire to doesn't surprise me at all....
      If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I can think of a few more fiction writers that need to be turned in.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I am sometimes glad I do not live in the USA. I'm pretty sure there would be some way to charge me with something for something I had written, with all the weirdo laws.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

YAY! LET'S OUTLAW FICTION BECAUSE ONLY TERRORISTS LIKE FICTION!
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                I am sometimes glad I do not live in the USA. I'm pretty sure there would be some way to charge me with something for something I had written, with all the weirdo laws.
                The upside is the court will laugh their asses off then throw the case out.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

How does that fit with the fact that the bail was raised?

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

It´s a really Kafka-esque story...
                    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Now maybe they're gonna sue Stephen King for suggesting the idea of 9/11 attacks...
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

In the post-Columbine world, school security, or whatever it is called, is taken all too seriously. Judges will have no senses of humour, and I wouldn't surprised if this poor kid suffers the heavy weight of the law. But what I want to know is, why did his grandparents give his stories to the police? In Virginia, at least, parents are response for kids, and by extension, grandparents, so if any intervening had to be done, they should have done it themselves. And secondly, they had to know the consequences, and they had to know that not only were they betraying the kid, but were also making his life hell.

And finally, I mean, Zombies!? Is that what we're worried about these days? I mean, I thought the plastic forks and knives were getting a little bit much, but now we're worried about kids bringing Zombies into school!? My god, people these days.
                        "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Has 9/11 turned a whole country into paranoid idiots? The future of humanity looks bleek indeed...
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Zombie Kerry!

Kamrat, short answer = yes.
                            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
                              Has 9/11 turned a whole country into paranoid idiots? The future of humanity looks bleek indeed...
                              Nah, the only thing that changed is the paranoid part.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X